Old English Game Bantam question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Do old english game bantams breed true to color? I went to a show today and got a pair of Self Blue and a trio of Black Breasted Red.

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I don't know much about OEGB genetics, but I would guess yes, *if* they are all pure bred, and not crosses back a generation or two. A bird can look pure but still have traits that will pop up in their offspring. Hopefully someone else will have a definitive answer for you!

3. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    If the color is standardized they will breed true. Since the breed is a true breed they will breed true.

4. SundownWaterfowl

Now, if I crossed the two colors, would i get a blue breasted red?

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No. Self blue is not related to regular blue. If you had a blue (not a self blue, aka lavender) then you'd get 50% blue red, 50% black breasted red.

But self blue is a recessive gene, so you'd have to breed back to it twice before the babies would start having some lavander. But it'd mess up your coloring pretty badly anyway, since it's a solid color being bred to a more patterned variety.

6. SundownWaterfowl

Okay. So if I bred self blue to self blue, I should get 100% self blues, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by