Old English Game Bantams?

Clucknut

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Spring is already here in south Florida, and my coop is empty! I’m looking around trying to decide which breed of bantams I want in my new flock. I keep going back to the Old English Game breeds. I sure like the looks of them, and they seem well suited to my climate, etc.
I also want a breed that is likely to brood easily. I realize this is an ornamental breed. Like I said, I really like their looks… But I need to be able to justify having any more “pets.”
It’s just my wife and I… would a dozen or so hens provide enough eggs for our breakfast on Sunday mornings? Is there enough meat on one for an occasional pot of stew, for two?
Thanks!

I suggest Golden Duckwing Phoenix or Kelso hens...maybe even Hatch. Easy keepers, interesting to watch, good setters

In my opinion you would have a hard time finding a better looking bantam than the oegb. A dozen hens will lay plenty for sunday breakfast with exception of winter. You will get very few eggs in winter under natural lighting. As far as eating they taste just like chicken, but look a little bigger than a jumbo quail.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Well, We looked over all the OEGBs on Cackle's site, We liked the Mille Fluer the best. So I placed my order.
cool.png

looks like I'll be cleaning out the garage next Saturday, to make room for the brooder.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom