Old English game hen

Jmerilli

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
How often do old English game hens lay eggs? I have 7 chickens total. 6 hens and 1 rooster. 1 hen is an old English game hen that’s about 7 months old. All of my hens are laying eggs regularly except for her. She hasn’t layed a single egg yet. When should I expect her to lay eggs. I’m getting worried about her. Thanks for the advice!!

She should be laying any time now. Do you know where she is in the pecking order? Do you free range them? Is there a possibility that you're accidentally mistaken her eggs for one of her flock mates?

She should be laying any time now. Do you know where she is in the pecking order? Do you free range them? Is there a possibility that you're accidentally mistaken her eggs for one of her flock mates?
She is the smallest of the flock, about the size of a pigeon, all the others are normal sized chickens. I believe she is at the bottom of the pecking order. They are not free ranges. They have a coop with a large run. I don’t think her eggs will be anywhere close to the size of the other chickens eggs due to her size. I think her eggs will be about the size of a quarter. She isn’t in any distress, just thought she’d be laying eggs by now.

She is the smallest of the flock, about the size of a pigeon, all the others are normal sized chickens. I believe she is at the bottom of the pecking order. They are not free ranges. They have a coop with a large run. I don’t think her eggs will be anywhere close to the size of the other chickens eggs due to her size. I think her eggs will be about the size of a quarter. She isn’t in any distress, just thought she’d be laying eggs by now.
Ok. What's the weather like where you're located? Bantams are seasonal layers that lay between March and September. If it's getting colder where you live, that might be the reason. ;)

How often do old English game hens lay eggs? I have 7 chickens total. 6 hens and 1 rooster. 1 hen is an old English game hen that’s about 7 months old. All of my hens are laying eggs regularly except for her. She hasn’t layed a single egg yet. When should I expect her to lay eggs. I’m getting worried about her. Thanks for the advice!!
Don’t worry. I have had plenty of late bloomers, and some very early. Like my bantam cochin, shes a bit of an egg slacker. She laid when she was like, 10 months old, the last to lay to, (supposed to lay around 5 months.)

Don’t worry to much, try double checking to, she might be laying and you might not know. Look for a large, oval, and moist vent if their laying. If not, it will be tight, small, and very dry.

2 months off really isn’t a concern. Its not exact by any means. I’ve had one that was 3 months early, others very late, others perfectly on time. As long as she has normal behavior, you should have nothing to worry about.

Ok. What's the weather like where you're located? Bantams are seasonal layers that lay between March and September. If it's getting colder where you live, that might be the reason. ;)
We live in the northeast so it’s getting colder here but I put lights in the run and coop so that they keep producing eggs. They have light from 530am till 730pm with the artificial lights.

Back
Top Bottom