OLD ENGLISH QUESTION - Red Pyle x Self Blue ='s what?

StrawberryHouseMouse

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Cleveland, Tennessee
I know a little bit about chicken genetics but not a whole lot about old english color varieties and genetics. So I was curious, is self blue like lavender in some other breeds? Does it delute other colors? For a moment, I wondered, would self blue bred to red pyle produce a self blue and white bird? (replacing the redish orange with blue)

I know a little bit about chicken genetics but not a whole lot about old english color varieties and genetics. So I was curious, is self blue like lavender in some other breeds? Does it delute other colors? For a moment, I wondered, would self blue bred to red pyle produce a self blue and white bird? (replacing the redish orange with blue)

in Old English games Self Blue means a solid blue bird, most are based on dominant blue(which is just heterozygous Splash Bl/bl+) a solid blue bird is indeed a solid black bird with blue or lavender diluting all of the black..

now a red pyle oeg is a wildtype black breasted red with dominant white, most are heterozygous for the dominant white because two copies of the dominant white gene(I/I instead of wildtype i+/i+) will fade the red color, so lets asume the red pyle bird is heterozygous for dominant white and the self blue bird is based on recesive lavender..

all of the chicks will hatch will have this percentages..

50% will look all white with some black and color leaking
50% will look all black with some black and gold color leaking

100% of them will be heterozygous for lavender but since lavender is recessive you will not be able to see it..

have you used henks chicken calculator before? its a nice tool..
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

No I havent checked that site out. I'll give it a look. Well from what you guys have told me it ruins my idea lol. I was really hoping for some lavender and white birds.

you can have a lavender and white in the same bird..BUT it will look just plain white, and you can also have a white and lavender pyle bird but it wont have much contrast

There is such a thing as a lavender mottled and that would have both lavender and white. I have an Old English Game bantam in that color. I think the color is referred to as "pearl".

Back
Top Bottom