Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I just heard peeping!!!
celebrate.gif
No sign of chick(s) yet, but broody is no longer growling at me when I get close to her. ??

Question: I'm not sure the chicks will be able to get out of the nest (litter box). I put a brick on both sides of the doorway, but it's still 4-5 inches from the top of the brick over the doorway. Should I remove the top of the litter box (which would eliminate the barrier) or will that stress the mama to not have her protective covering? Here's a photo:

I just heard peeping!!! :celebrate No sign of chick(s) yet, but broody is no longer growling at me when I get close to her. ?? Question: I'm not sure the chicks will be able to get out of the nest (litter box). I put a brick on both sides of the doorway, but it's still 4-5 inches from the top of the brick over the doorway. Should I remove the top of the litter box (which would eliminate the barrier) or will that stress the mama to not have her protective covering? Here's a photo:
I would leave it for now. Babies won't venture out of the nest for 2 maybe 3 days. After everyone is hatched and you think momma hen wouldn't mind you could remove it

I just heard peeping!!! :celebrate No sign of chick(s) yet, but broody is no longer growling at me when I get close to her. ?? Question: I'm not sure the chicks will be able to get out of the nest (litter box). I put a brick on both sides of the doorway, but it's still 4-5 inches from the top of the brick over the doorway. Should I remove the top of the litter box (which would eliminate the barrier) or will that stress the mama to not have her protective covering? Here's a photo:
I would leave it for now. Babies won't venture out of the nest for 2 maybe 3 days. After everyone is hatched and you think momma hen wouldn't mind you could remove it

Interesting. My broody sort brought hers out but she is still using the same nest with them. (though I don't think she has many other options) Should I clean it out (when she is not in it, obviously!) I've also been giving her access to the outside on sunny days and she's been taking them out for most of the day. So far she hasn't clued in to taking them back in so I have to help with that. Hoping maybe she will learn? Any thoughts?

My pekin is hatching my duck egg at the moment and is about 2 weeks in, the egg is fertile, but will she carry on turning it, as ducks are incubated for another week compared to chickens?

She is also still in the coop with other chickens, but I don't really have anywhere else to put her? Will the other chickens kill the duckling when it hatches or will I need to find somewhere?

Well, I candled at day 10 and again yesterday. On day 10 I found 3 infertile and several with blood rings, so got rid of them. Yesterday one of the three I had left was a quiter, so now I'm down to two. Saw movement in both. So hopefully Friday or Saturday I will have a couple of little fuzzy ones.

Last edited:
I just heard peeping!!!
celebrate.gif
No sign of chick(s) yet, but broody is no longer growling at me when I get close to her. ??

Question: I'm not sure the chicks will be able to get out of the nest (litter box). I put a brick on both sides of the doorway, but it's still 4-5 inches from the top of the brick over the doorway. Should I remove the top of the litter box (which would eliminate the barrier) or will that stress the mama to not have her protective covering? Here's a photo:
love.gif
Is she a Speckled Sussex?

My pekin is hatching my duck egg at the moment and is about 2 weeks in, the egg is fertile, but will she carry on turning it, as ducks are incubated for another week compared to chickens?
Yes she will keep on turning, I have seen plenty of people hatch ducks out under a hen.
She is also still in the coop with other chickens, but I don't really have anywhere else to put her? Will the other chickens kill the duckling when it hatches or will I need to find somewhere?
I think the other hens will just treat it the same way they would a chick, think the mother wont be able to tell its a duckling either (I don't think so anyways). If the other hens attack the Duckling just put a dog cage in the coop and put her in that if you have no were else to put her.

Back
Top Bottom