Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

why? just tuck them back under her
Well I wont know how long they have been out. She has been sitting since Friday and 4 of her 7 eggs have already fell out and I did put them back under her but it was warmer then so I though they would still have a chance of hatching.

Here she is yesterday, if you look at the way she sits the eggs sometimes fall out the back...:

When I kicked her off to sort her nest out to try stop eggs falling out:

Here she is yesterday, if you look at the way she sits the eggs sometimes fall out the back...:

When I kicked her off to sort her nest out to try stop eggs falling out:
if they fall out mark them somehow special. If the same eggs are out again a different day chances are she is kicking them out for a reason. If it is different eggs each time then she is just clumsy.

if they fall out mark them somehow special. If the same eggs are out again a different day chances are she is kicking them out for a reason. If it is different eggs each time then she is just clumsy.
They are marked, they have the names of the hens that laid the on. Its really annoying because she sat in the same nest last year, with more eggs and it was her first time and still did better.

They are marked, they have the names of the hens that laid the on. Its really annoying because she sat in the same nest last year, with more eggs and it was her first time and still did better.
mark them with a second mark if they fall out. This way you can get an idea if they fall out again if it is on purpose

I have 62 eggs due to hatch in 2 weeks!! Can't wait! 29 Silver Phoenix eggs, 2 (sad I know haha!) Porcelin D'Uccle eggs, 10 Giant Buff Brahma, 1 Black Cochin, and 20 Giant Rhode Island Red. I have a broody Phoenix and a broody Bantam Buff Cochin. The Phoenix has 4 Phoenix eggs and the two D'Uccle eggs, the bantam Cochin has 6 Phoenix. We also have a standard Black Cochin who is broody and we put 8 Giant Rhode Island Red eggs under her. We are gonna be chick crazy soon!

Back
Top Bottom