Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Candled tonight (Day 15). Most eggs are totally black except for air sac and BIG SURPRISE, there were only 5 instead of 9. NO CLUE what became of the other 4. So disappointed. There is one in something but it's just floating around. I think it's yolk but the eggs are so dark it's hard to tell anything. Was intimidated by the incubator but thinking we may have to go that way next time.

Sorry to be negative. It's been a bad chicken day all around.

Candled tonight (Day 15). Most eggs are totally black except for air sac and BIG SURPRISE, there were only 5 instead of 9. NO CLUE what became of the other 4. So disappointed. There is one in something but it's just floating around. I think it's yolk but the eggs are so dark it's hard to tell anything. Was intimidated by the incubator but thinking we may have to go that way next time.

Sorry to be negative. It's been a bad chicken day all around.

are the hen & her nest in a protected area?

Yes, very and she is fine. Could she be eating them? There is no sign of shells or anything! Nuts!
My guess is a rat is taking them...or some other critter....................I had this happen a few years ago........
Poor mama was going nuts. I lifted her and sure enough a small baby rat was ripping off her eggs.................

So I just want to whine a little................
My first time broody hen had her nest stolen by an older hen....
Wanted to correct the problem and give each a few eggs . the young hen
has planted herself on top of a shelf about 7 ft. tall........no way I can get her down.
I have shipped eggs coming tomorrow and was really hoping to not have to incubate.
Wondering what chances are she will continue being broody if I can give her the nest back. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
he.gif

Guess I will know in the morning...............

I have two broody Rhode Island Red hens sharing the same nest box, and best I can tell they are sharing the eggs. The first chick hatched out yesterday, I'm about to go check for more this morning. The nest box is about a foot above the floor, and the coup is about a foot off the ground. Do I need to be concerned about the chicks getting down? Do I need to feed these guys, or does mom take care of that? I have never had a hen hatch out eggs before, so I'm not really sure what to do.

I have two broody Rhode Island Red hens sharing the same nest box, and best I can tell they are sharing the eggs. The first chick hatched out yesterday, I'm about to go check for more this morning. The nest box is about a foot above the floor, and the coup is about a foot off the ground. Do I need to be concerned about the chicks getting down? Do I need to feed these guys, or does mom take care of that? I have never had a hen hatch out eggs before, so I'm not really sure what to do.
They probably won't come out of the nest for a day or two, but you do need to provide clean water in the area (with marbles or something to prevent the chicks from falling into it and drowning) and you will need to feed them chick starter, not layer crumbles or other adult type food. Baby chicks shouldn't have the larger amounts of calcium that is added to the layer feeds.
Here is a recent thread on feeding chicks and broody mamas
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799663/mama-hen-eating-only-starter-chick-food-ok

there are a bunch of threads on this site about caring for newborn chicks with a broody, the search block above is a great place to start, also the learning center tabs above. Watch that no chicks get out of the nest get stuck not being able to get back into it and are abandoned on the floor. Once the eggs hatch you can move broodies and babies to a clean area on the floor so that isn't a problem. This thread alone has a ton of info in it. If you go back 4 wks or so worth of postings you will find a lot of questions you may have already answered and some you may not have even thought of.

Last edited:
Broody girls have got their eggs now! The one on the floor has managed to make hers sticky even though there is no broken eggs! It looks promising that they will hatch because the person who I bought them off give me one with a funny shell for free, which i cracked open and it was fertile!

Back
Top Bottom