Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

When will a hen let you hold her chicks after they hatch?
Depends on the hen. One of ours happily shows them off for us, and another thinks that when her chicks start laying is soon enough for us to get close to them.
gig.gif

Quick question, how long from hatch until my mamma decides its time to take her new little ones to get food/water? I read it could take a few days. Truth to that? Also, once she is ready to take them to get water I need to put a flat surface for her to nest in. She is now in a tupperward basin (see video) and the chicks wont be able to get out of that. I have a cardboard box bottom with high sides on two ends to replace it with. Should I wait until momma is getting out of the box to make the move or at least until all the chicks hatch. I don't want to disturb the process now (just started hatching a few hours ago) but dont want to wait too long. Also, my momma is in a large dog crate inside the main coop. She has her own food and water dishes with chick feed. I put wood and cardboard around the sides so hopefully the chicks wont fall out. Is that going to work? My only other option is to bring momma and babies into mud room where I raised my first chicks. That seems to defeat the purpose of letting nature do its thing. Should I keep momma and babies locked in the dog crate or keep it open so momma can come and go? Thanks for thoughts and suggestions!

Quick question, how long from hatch until my mamma decides its time to take her new little ones to get food/water? I read it could take a few days. Truth to that? Also, once she is ready to take them to get water I need to put a flat surface for her to nest in. She is now in a tupperward basin (see video) and the chicks wont be able to get out of that. I have a cardboard box bottom with high sides on two ends to replace it with. Should I wait until momma is getting out of the box to make the move or at least until all the chicks hatch. I don't want to disturb the process now (just started hatching a few hours ago) but dont want to wait too long. Also, my momma is in a large dog crate inside the main coop. She has her own food and water dishes with chick feed. I put wood and cardboard around the sides so hopefully the chicks wont fall out. Is that going to work? My only other option is to bring momma and babies into mud room where I raised my first chicks. That seems to defeat the purpose of letting nature do its thing. Should I keep momma and babies locked in the dog crate or keep it open so momma can come and go? Thanks for thoughts and suggestions!

For the first few days, she will probably stay in or near the nest. I had my broody in a high side cat litter pan and the chicks didn't have any problem getting out of it. I did put a ramp for them to get back into it. It was quite a bit taller than what yours are in. I would leave the crate closed for a few days and then leave it open and let her do as she pleases.... You just need to watch and make sure that no one is picking on her more than she can handle. I have my 5 weeks old in the big coop but separated. I will probably let them integrate this weekend and just make sure that no one is really picking on her to the point that she can't defend herself and the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom