Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
Congratulations on the hatch so far, they are precious! love the colors is the second one a splash too?

We dont know what color that little chick is, these are our first chicks and I don't know how the genetics work. I hope we get more like it tho. The eggs are from both of our silkie hens. Our other silky is considered a blue, I think, tho to me its a dark grey. Now she is setting on 7 of her own eggs. I don't know how that will work, I had the eggs in the fridge, I wasnt expecting her to go broody at the same time, I saw post saying that refrigerated eggs will hatch so we will see. We are just so excited and they are so cute.!

Forget this. I'm going back to my Brinsea. Those chicks I gave back to the mama after she killed one and I hatched them all inside? She just killed another. Both got crushed, not attacked. Both were Black Javas, pretty important birds to me. No point at all in just having a hen incubate if you have to hand raise the chicks afterward. I am so frustrated. What a huge waste of time and energy.

My brinsea just hatched out eight little BO's with three eggs to go. Still trying to decide if I should stick them under my broody. She's pretty persistent but she spends an hour+ off the nest each day. Hmm. I think I'll try, but stand there with a flashlight and be ready to pull them out.

Check out my other broody! not the best pic, but all I had handy was a cellphone.
smile.png

51848_chickmom.jpg

Quote:
she is Beautiful!!!!

X2, and i would try the broody featherz, that was a unforseen circumstance haThor has had, if she is truly broody she will most likely accept them. You said BO they get big will she be able to keep them all warm? is she a BO?

Quote:
Congratulations on the hatch so far, they are precious! love the colors is the second one a splash too?

We dont know what color that little chick is, these are our first chicks and I don't know how the genetics work. I hope we get more like it tho. The eggs are from both of our silkie hens. Our other silky is considered a blue, I think, tho to me its a dark grey. Now she is setting on 7 of her own eggs. I don't know how that will work, I had the eggs in the fridge, I wasnt expecting her to go broody at the same time, I saw post saying that refrigerated eggs will hatch so we will see. We are just so excited and they are so cute.!

I saw a post where someone stuck a fertile egg from Trader Joes under their broody and it hatched.

When do you guys let mama take the chicks out? What temperature should it be outside and do you keep them in a pen of some sort to contain them? I'm wanting to take my broody outside with her chicks but they're only 1 1/2 weeks old and it's only 60 degrees outside.

Back
Top Bottom