Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

hey there, Im keen to breed my new hampshires (Reggie, my New Hamp Roo in the profile pic) and need a broody, i was thinking of buying a silkie but was wondering how likely it will go broody
tongue.png

My hatch rate on shipped eggs is abysmal. Part of my problem is my altitude, I'm pushing 5,000 ft here. Last year I set over 100 shipped eggs....hatched 4. So, if you go the shipped egg route make sure that you are pretty sure what you are doing and who you are buying from. Some of my problem was mine, some was the shipper, some the post office and some just the difference between sea level hatching and high altitude hatching. All of those issues together came up to a horrible hatch rate. I think I've corrected some of the problems (those within my control) and am hopeful for better hatch rates this year.

That all said, I'm not sure I'd put shipped eggs under a broody. I did that a few years ago and managed to hatch a few out of the dozen I put under her. Now I feel like I need more control over the conditions for these eggs, so I only put shipped eggs in an incubator.

hey there, Im keen to breed my new hampshires (Reggie, my New Hamp Roo in the profile pic) and need a broody, i was thinking of buying a silkie but was wondering how likely it will go broody
tongue.png

Silkies as a breed are a very broody bunch...but it does all boil down to the individual hen.

I have purchased (and one was given) PROVEN Silkie broodies. I have actually had pretty good luck finding a broody veteran that a Silkie breeder is willing to part with, so I can recommend going that route. Ask around your chicken network for Silkie breeders and you'll likely find a proven hen.

LofMc

Silkies as a breed are a very broody bunch...but it does all boil down to the individual hen.

I have purchased (and one was given) PROVEN Silkie broodies. I have actually had pretty good luck finding a broody veteran that a Silkie breeder is willing to part with, so I can recommend going that route. Ask around your chicken network for Silkie breeders and you'll likely find a proven hen.

LofMc
Thanks, i know a lady who might just help me out in that area :)

i have a hen, that toward the end of the day she goes into a nests and lays on eggs. then when i go to pick a egg up out of her nest she squeaks at me but does not peck. Is she thinking about hatching eggs? She did not stay on the nest during the day yesterday. i don't know what she will do today.

i have a hen, that toward the end of the day she goes into a nests and lays on eggs. then when i go to pick a egg up out of her nest she squeaks at me but does not peck. Is she thinking about hatching eggs? She did not stay on the nest during the day yesterday. i don't know what she will do today.
Probably not broody, but might be thinking about it. When they are broody, they don't leave the nest at all except for a quick eat, drink, poo.

has one ever candled eggs that are under the broody hen to check development, or just let nature take its course and wait it out till the end?

has one ever candled eggs that are under the broody hen to check development, or just let nature take its course and wait it out till the end?
My girls are pretty tolerant of me messing around down there, but not all hens are. I have even heard of a couple of extreme cases where it caused them to abandon the nest. I think it comes down to knowing your birds. As long as you are careful and not in lockdown, it shouldn't cause problems with your eggs. I personally am in favor of removing clears and deads before they have a chance to rot and possibly explode.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom