Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I was told that hens that came from incubators are not good mothers because they never had a mother to train them in taking care of chicks. Is there truth to this statement?
No, my first broody was a hatchery chick and she never beat her chicks to death. But again, the other very broody hatchery mama did. Hours old. My new chick which I took from a broody from last springs hatch of our own stock. She is busy on some duck eggs. the new chick naturally started scratching. they are born to it. the mothers are broody and nice or broody and mean.
The good mom was pure bred, americauna wheat color. bad mom partridge chantecler, very broody though. Like the silent killer in the flock. I don't kill mine though. It has to be natural.
Some chicks and more to your point, are like wise better foragers because of breed. I would not worry. I do take care though that even with a pecking order that no one is going without food. I think that has been the only unaturall cause of death around here. Due to weakness and disease settling in. I have a BR right now anemic from parasites. So which comes first the immune system declines and parasites set in or visa versa. I am no expert.

I was told that hens that came from incubators are not good mothers because they never had a mother to train them in taking care of chicks. Is there truth to this statement?

Not true. It has amazed me what wonderful mothers my hens have been who have never in their lives seen a mother hen. Here's my hatchery orpington with her babies several weeks ago. They are 7 weeks old now and are all doing great, thanks to their wonderful mom!

This is my first time with a broody hen and hatch day is this Friday. She is currently in the run and I am wondering if I can leave her there or should I move her? It's 20 feet long and 3 feet wide with 16 chickens. They go out twice a day to free range.

This is my first time with a broody hen and hatch day is this Friday. She is currently in the run and I am wondering if I can leave her there or should I move her? It's 20 feet long and 3 feet wide with 16 chickens. They go out twice a day to free range.
To clarify, your broody is in the run, not the coop?

What kind of covering does the run have? Wire or something else?

How has the broody been interacting with the other hens and visa versa over the past few weeks?

Thanks

To clarify, your broody is in the run, not the coop?

What kind of covering does the run have? Wire or something else?

How has the broody been interacting with the other hens and visa versa over the past few weeks?

Thanks

Well the coop is attached to the run but she does decided to nest on the ground in the run. The top is wood and the sides and bottom is wire. The broody is the boss and always has been so everyone gets out of her way roosters included. I'm only worried because just yesterday my biggest hen (a Red Ranger) decided to lay an egg inside her nest and she stepped on and crushed two developing eggs.

I have a broody Barred Rock and she is being great. I'm not sure when she started setting but today I found a very stinky broken up baby chick whose egg must have been broken either by my broody or by another hen. I moved the eggs and broody to a clean box but was wondering if I should clean off the other 11 eggs? If so with what?

I have a broody Barred Rock and she is being great.  I'm not sure when she started setting but today I found a very stinky broken up baby chick whose egg must have been broken either by my broody or by another hen.  I moved the eggs and broody to a clean box but was wondering if I should clean off the other 11 eggs?  If so with what? 

When one of my hens stepped on and broke two eggs I cleaned off the other ones with a dry cloth

So I moved the nest and hen to an on the ground nest. It is part of my coop but none of the other chickens can access her. She is really upset and not on the nest yet. How long should I wait before intervening (interrupting her job) again if she does not go back to the new nest? Our weather here is very warm...currently 93ish and the nights get down to 78ish.

Here's a pic of my first time Lavender Americana hen. She successfully hatched three of six eggs that she seriously sat on. They hatched Sunday night, 8/9. That evening (just a little before dark) I nervously gave her nine more chicks. They hatched eight days earlier via a friend's incubator. She has totally accepted them. Here's the picture of them this morning. You can only count six chicks, but know that there are six of them under her. I believe that she is out of the nesting box because her own chick that she hatched -- her egg! is the smallest chick. It cannot get back in the nest by itself yet. She is being an awesome mom. The one little chick seems weaker than the others, but it is also much, much smaller because of the breed. She is making sure that it is eating even though the others are very active. I'm going to let nature take it's course. She seems to know what she is doing already.

Oh I just love to peek in the brooder and see little chicks poke their heads out from under her wings!!! The cutest thing ever!

Bella and baby
11219127_10203193711283266_3454005488452011102_n.jpg

11035299_10203193711043260_2406445373699061260_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom