Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I have an easter egger that is sitting on 3 eggs that I have candled and there is something in them but not sure if they are alive. She has been setting for 27 days now what do I do?
I have her in a dog kennel should I open the door and see what she does? She is still very protective
Thanks

All I needed to do was post that question and apparently count better::p
Just went down to check on them and my Easter egger had a chick:love
I am so excited! She is still sitting on two that may be viable. I hope so
My other broody will be 21 days, maybe I think, this weekend. We shall see!
Oh happy days:yesss::jumpy

Last edited:
I apologize if this was answered somewhere in this thread (didn't have time to read the 2700+ pages) :) I have two broody hens. The first one, Evie, had 6 original eggs under her - but I didn't realize I should mark them. Ended up with about 16 total before I isolated her from the rest of the flock. Summer is her broody buddy who has 7. Evie hatched out her first chick on the 10, the 2nd on the 11th then got off her nest. Summer then left her clutch & moved in on Evie's. I put all of Summers under her as well at that point because I didn't want to lose them. Then Summer hatched out 3 this past weekend. She too then got off the nest. I took the remaining eggs and put them in my incubator because I wasn't sure when the remaining ones of Evie's were going to hatch and Summer's original ones aren't supposed to hatch until this weekend. I so far have had two hatch, one last night & one this morning. My question is, once the rest hatch, is it possible to introduce them to the others so Evie & Summer can raise them? They both take care of the their brood together & don't seem to be snotty about sharing kids. It would be just so much better for them to be raised by momma's than in a brooder. Has anyone been able to do this successfully?? Thank you in advance!

I apologize if this was answered somewhere in this thread (didn't have time to read the 2700+ pages)  :)  I have two broody hens.  The first one, Evie, had 6 original eggs under her - but I didn't realize I should mark them.  Ended up with about 16 total before I isolated her from the rest of the flock.  Summer is her broody buddy who has 7.  Evie hatched out her first chick on the 10, the 2nd on the 11th then got off her nest.  Summer then left her clutch & moved in on Evie's.  I put all of Summers under her as well at that point because I didn't want to lose them.  Then Summer hatched out 3 this past weekend.  She too then got off the nest.  I took the remaining eggs and put them in my incubator because I wasn't sure when the remaining ones of Evie's were going to hatch and Summer's original ones aren't supposed to hatch until this weekend.  I so far have had two hatch, one last night & one this morning.  My question is, once the rest hatch, is it possible to introduce them to the others so Evie & Summer can raise them?  They both take care of the their brood together & don't seem to be snotty about sharing kids.  It would be just so much better for them to be raised by momma's than in a brooder.  Has anyone been able to do this successfully??  Thank you in advance!

They may graft ok, but keep the hens in a restricted area for 2 or 3 days, the newer chicks won't be able to keep up with the original hatchers, and mama won't/can't give them any special attention....keeping them in a small area helps compensate for that.
Graft at night when the broodies are settled in on a nest and keep very close track to make sure the little ones aren't being picked on.

And do the graft in the dark. I find it helps.
Regards, Woody

Another thing. If it was me I'd not wait until all the others have hatched. I'd be doing it right now as they hatch.

Last edited:
I apologize if this was answered somewhere in this thread (didn't have time to read the 2700+ pages)  :)  I have two broody hens.  The first one, Evie, had 6 original eggs under her - but I didn't realize I should mark them.  Ended up with about 16 total before I isolated her from the rest of the flock.  Summer is her broody buddy who has 7.  Evie hatched out her first chick on the 10, the 2nd on the 11th then got off her nest.  Summer then left her clutch & moved in on Evie's.  I put all of Summers under her as well at that point because I didn't want to lose them.  Then Summer hatched out 3 this past weekend.  She too then got off the nest.  I took the remaining eggs and put them in my incubator because I wasn't sure when the remaining ones of Evie's were going to hatch and Summer's original ones aren't supposed to hatch until this weekend.  I so far have had two hatch, one last night & one this morning.  My question is, once the rest hatch, is it possible to introduce them to the others so Evie & Summer can raise them?  They both take care of the their brood together & don't seem to be snotty about sharing kids.  It would be just so much better for them to be raised by momma's than in a brooder.  Has anyone been able to do this successfully??  Thank you in advance!

Many times. I have 2 hens that won't adopt new comers, but another six do. As soon as a chick starts to walk okay in the brooder, put it under a hen after dark. Be out at the coop at first light to make sure the hen will adopt it. I added chicks over a 7 day period. I have learned that my hens will care properly for up to 6 chicks each. More than that it's up to the chicks to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom