Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I have 2 broodies, the other 3 were fakes!!
tongue.gif

I have no clue what is under them...?? And I don't know if I'll even keep the chicks or not??

I only gave my broody girl 4 eggs because it was her first time (and mine.) She has been setting for 4 days. I was worried about leaving her with the other birds, but now I'm not. They have all banded together to help her. When she takes a break, they sit on the eggs for her. Then she goes back, and they go about their business. No one seems to mind. I didn't know they would do this.

Well, Hello!

Honestly, I never thought I'd get to join a broody hen thread! Found my missing welsummerX sitting on a nest of 24 eggs today!!!!!
barnie.gif

I moved her into our barn, since she'd picked her nest spot under our horse trailer, which is vulnerable to preadators. She's now ticked off, but safe and back on her eggs
smile.png

What else do I do for her, besides leave her alone for 21 days? (Or rather 18-19 days I think....she's probably been sitting on them 3 days)

Also, I know she won't hatch all of those. How do I know when to remove the duds? or do i just wait?

Well I guess it wasn't meant to be...AGAIN
he.gif

I had one chick born dead yesterday (Day 23)
idunno.gif

Today, as there was nothing happening, I candled the last 3 eggs:

One had obviously quit sometime after I last candled (at 2 weeks)
rant.gif

The other two were full with good air sacks. I could even make out a little toe. But here was absolutely NO movement!
somad.gif
rant.gif
barnie.gif

So in the past year I have tried with 15 eggs to get a Buff Sussex hen. The result: One Light Sussex cockerel!!!
he.gif

I can't begin to tell you all how disapointed I am!!!! And poor Hermione is bereft!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Best of luck to all you broody mommas out there
fl.gif

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear Hermione is not going to be able to be a mom. Any chance of getting a newborn chick some where close?

Awww! Thanks, guys
hugs.gif

The plan for this year was buffies for her first brood and then possibly some blue laying silver grey dorkings for the second litter (er brood).
droolin.gif

So I think I'll let her go back with the flock tonight and come out of her broodiness in her own good time. Then do the dorkings if she goes broody again. I feel she should have time to build herself up before we start again.
love.gif

The thing about living on a flyspeck in the middle of the Channel is that there aren't very many people who do the breeds here. There is only one guy who has buff sussex, and he's not breeding this year at all.
barnie.gif
He was also singularly unhelpful when I spoke to him last year!

So I am really stuck with shipping eggs. But next time I'll get them sent special delivery! ! !

Well I guess I'll just have to put this one down to experience...Am just really diapointed
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom