Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Oh Pharmgirl! They are gorgeous!!! I WANT them!!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
It is a personal thing, I think.

Last year my nursery was way up at the top of the garden where I couldn't see. So I got her off the nest twice a day every day for 10 mins on the kitchen timer. I only stopped when the babies were born.

This year I put the nursery by the living room door. I was amazed to see her get up by herself, eat, drink, poop and then get back in oh so carefully. So what was all the fuss about?!
hu.gif

In general I find it's good to handle them so they are used to being handled in case you need to intervene for some reason.

Hope this helps!
thumbsup.gif

buckaroo's wife :

Awesome Pharm Girl!

Question to all: How often (or do you) candle eggs under a broody hen? My hen is sitting on about 24 eggs, and I know they can't all be good - just wondering if its worth the fuss and time (angering her!) to try and candle them.

We're still early in the process, she's on day 7 or so.

WOW!!! 24 eggs!!!!!
ep.gif

I would try to candle so that you can make her more comfy by getting rid of the duds.

You also don't want exploded egg gunk all over the good eggs!
sickbyc.gif

Does she let you get her off the nest regularly? I set the kitchen timer for 10 mins and that is as long as I get!

If you wait til day 10 or so you should be sure which ones are good

Good luck!!!
fl.gif

OK...I already have a problem!
I didn't remove the broody hen because I only have two hens. I just went to check on the mama-to-be and the other hen was in her nesting box & was sitting on two of the eggs! I have a dog crate that I can bring inside the laundry room for my broody hen... should I bring her inside? These eggs were shipped, so I know my hatch rate won't be the best, so I feel like I need to do everything I can to help them out!

This is my first hatch. we are actually new to this whole chicken thing. Would not go back though. We rescued 6 chickens one of which went broody we should hatch tomorrow. Can"t wait to see what happens> Any advice to a first time hatcher> the other caviot is I work this weekend 12 hour shifts can't rely on my hubby to keep a close eye on her and the eggs hoped they would come early.

Quote:
My advice would be to give her plenty of space so that she does not trample her chicks excessively, and unless she is a very tame hen wait to check on the chicks until she comes off the nest. And have fun!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
It is a personal thing, I think.

Last year my nursery was way up at the top of the garden where I couldn't see. So I got her off the nest twice a day every day for 10 mins on the kitchen timer. I only stopped when the babies were born.

This year I put the nursery by the living room door. I was amazed to see her get up by herself, eat, drink, poop and then get back in oh so carefully. So what was all the fuss about?!
hu.gif

In general I find it's good to handle them so they are used to being handled in case you need to intervene for some reason.

Hope this helps!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the input! We are anxiously awaiting for the big day!
pop.gif

When is it safe to let the hen and chicks out to mingle and free-range with the others? I currently have them in a separate coop and run and, since our weather has been cold, this has worked best (there's a heat lamp in the coop the chicks can get to when they've had enough of being out in the run with mom). However, the weather is due to break next week and I'd love to let the hen and her chicks out to free-range with the flock. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom