Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I love NC! My parents have a summer home there in Waynesville in the mountains. It's so beautiful there, you are a lucky one, for sure!
I just got five babies on March 15th cause we had a jack russel who was wiping our grown hens out! Sad, but true. We figured out how to keep the jack contained so the hens can Free-range now. I want to know how long the chics need to stay under a heat source? They have feathers on wings already. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm in South Fl. by the way! :)

Thank you

I love NC! My parents have a summer home there in Waynesville in the mountains. It's so beautiful there, you are a lucky one, for sure!
I just got five babies on March 15th cause we had a jack russel who was wiping our grown hens out! Sad, but true. We figured out how to keep the jack contained so the hens can Free-range now. I want to know how long the chics need to stay under a heat source? They have feathers on wings already. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm in South Fl. by the way! :)

Thank you
They should be fully feathered, I put 4 EEs outside at 4 weeks and they still had a tiny bit of chick fuzz on them. I bet it's hot in south Fl.

Listen it doesn't matter when you use a broody she takes care of everything, My hen hatched 3 chicks 2 weeks ago and we have temps in the 30's in the morning she brings them right out of the coop and they start their day when they get cold she just lets them get under her and warms them up. Your chicks will be hardier and healthier than bator raised. Let the fun begin and get your silkie away from the bullies.

I was planning on keeping my silkie away from the rest of the hens, so they don't hurt her chicks. I honestly doubt she can guard her babies against those ruffians! Will she be okay in 30*F? Or should I use a lamp to keep it 50-60*F for her?

I was planning on keeping my silkie away from the rest of the hens, so they don't hurt her chicks. I honestly doubt she can guard her babies against those ruffians! Will she be okay in 30*F? Or should I use a lamp to keep it 50-60*F for her?

She should be fine, she deff doesn't need a heat lamp, they have down on remember? lol. you don't want to coddle that just makes them suceptable to diseases. just give her fluffy bedding and a draft free area she'll be fine.

She should be fine, she deff doesn't need a heat lamp, they have down on remember? lol. you don't want to coddle that just makes them suceptable to diseases. just give her fluffy bedding and a draft free area she'll be fine.

Okay, good! I've just heard too many horror stories of chickens freezing to death because of being alone - But it isn't too cold here, most differently too warm for her to freeze.

Next time she goes broody I'll slip under some eggs! Even though she is broody right now, I think I'll wait for next time. She has been broody for 1-2 weeks, I don't want her to leave the eggs before they hatch! Also, I wanna make an incubator, so if for some reason she stops, I can save 'em. Thanks for the help!

I have another question... How soon will I have to put the eggs under my silkie after she goes broody if I don't want her to abandon them? Will she just sit for 23 days, then be done? You see, my silkie has been broody for about a week or two, and I was wondering if it would be too late to put the eggs under her this Wednesday (4/4/12). What do you guys think?

Good afternoon everyone!!!

Today has been a pretty good day overall. Even though my RIR is making me crazy!!! She has 8 eggs ye 8 eggs! In her nest!! My Barred rock layed 3 and she layed the rest but she has stolen the decoy eggs out of the others nests! She isnt even broody! Lol Now that I have a rooster (unexpected) I will have fertile eggs!!
wee.gif

Good afternoon everyone!!!

Today has been a pretty good day overall. Even though my RIR is making me crazy!!! She has 8 eggs ye 8 eggs! In her nest!! My Barred rock layed 3 and she layed the rest but she has stolen the decoy eggs out of the others nests! She isnt even broody! Lol Now that I have a rooster (unexpected) I will have fertile eggs!!
wee.gif

Congrats! I assume you plan on hatching some of your own fertile eggs? I really want to do that, but I can't have roosters where I live. Let us know how your RIR eggs turn out!
ya.gif

I have another question... How soon will I have to put the eggs under my silkie after she goes broody if I don't want her to abandon them? Will she just sit for 23 days, then be done? You see, my silkie has been broody for about a week or two, and I was wondering if it would be too late to put the eggs under her this Wednesday (4/4/12). What do you guys think?

Last year i had a broody who sat on unfertile eggs for 21 days, when i finally realized she wasn't going to hatch any I gave her 3 more that i new were fertile and she sat another 21 days and was just fine. I just made sure she had fresh food and water close by.

Last year i had a broody who sat on unfertile eggs for 21 days, when i finally realized she wasn't going to hatch any I gave her 3 more that i new were fertile and she sat another 21 days and was just fine. I just made sure she had fresh food and water close by.

Oh good... You sure are quickly answering all my questions! "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" - Gomer Pyle

I'll see if I could possibly pick 'em up this Wednesday, I better get the incubator together soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom