Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Is that the one who wouldn't give up her chicks at 4 weeks old? Curious to see how long she mothers them this time.
She wouldn't give them up until 22 weeks, then this year she give them up at 6, give herself a 2 week break, laid one egg and is now back sitting!

Thanks bobbieschick. I didn't think so. I got 4 BR's and 4 RIR's free and was told they were 10 weeks old. They probably are that old. Especially since they still talk the way they do.

My 2 broodies are in the same shed and if the eggs hatch, what should I do if they don't like each others chicks? I cant separate them into sections, the only thing I can do is put one back in the big shed with the big girls. Do you think it would be best to put the experienced mother back in the big shed? (which ever hen goes in the big shed will go outside whenever they want)

My BA has been stomping on her chicks and killing them. She killed my only SL polish chick and my last BTWJB and one of her other chicks.

One more week!! I am so excited!!
I have 2 broody hens that set eggs. Yesterday I went into the pen where 1 was sitting eggs and had 8 little chicks looking back at me in the nest. Since she is still sitting eggs I got those out and am letting her sit the others till they hatch out. Some of the hens with her laid eggs in her nest box. She was not happy with me tho taking her chicks however we have snakes around here and I didn't want any getting the babies. The other hen is in another house and has the same problem even tho there are 2 other nest boxes in the house for them to lay Seems they all want to lay in the same box. I figure next week or week after we should see chicks looking back at us.... will have to do the same thing to her or else we will lose the babies.

Forgot to say both hens are little things but they sure can cover a lot of eggs. None of my bigger hens seem interested in sitting on anything cept the roost at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom