Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I'm out of town right now and my son decided to let the chickens free range yesterday. I separated out the now 10 week old chicks into a separate coop and run about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time that they've been out together since then. He said it was hilarious, the older rooster puffed himself all up, dropped his wings and got in between the babies (they are still babies I think) and "his" hens. No fighting occurred, but obviously they need to be put out separately in the future before any fighting begins. I have to say that the brahma chooks are almost as big as the hens and even the pullet will be larger than the old rooster by the time she finishes growing!

Hello, everyone! My husband and I are very new to raising chickens; we bought eight hens last spring (so they're about 7-8 months old now) for eggs and we are really enjoying having them. 

We noticed about ten days ago that "Buffy" (our Orpington) was refusing to leave her nest box and so we figured she was broody. Yesterday some friends of ours let us "borrow" their rooster and our plan is to leave the rooster with all the hens for a few days and then have Buffy sit on about 8 eggs or so and see if we can get them to hatch.

Which brings me to my question. It's my understanding that it takes 21 days from fertilization to hatching. Are hens only broody for 21 days or will she continue to sit on the eggs until they hatch? For example, it's already been 10 days since she went broody so if I put eggs under her in the next few days will she just get up and be done with them after another 11-12 days has gone by or will she sit on them until they hatch? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question; we just aren't sure. :)

Also, I noticed that many people remove the hen and chicks from the community area once they are hatched. Will it be upsetting to the hen if I only remove the chicks? I have a small area for the chicks to stay with a heat lamp but it won't be big enough for the hen, too. I just don't want my poor mama hen to be very distraught if I take her babies. If she will be, then we'll have to figure something else out.

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions! :) 

Back in the summer we were given a cockerel. He arrived on a Friday afternoon and rapidly got to know his new girls. On Saturday he attacked my daughter and so on Sunday we invited him to lunch! Anyway, I collected up all the eggs that were laid Monday, tuesday and Wednesday and put them under a broody. 21 days later 10 out of 12 of them hatched,.
I'm not saying that all cockerels are that prolific or fertile, just that it is possible.
Good luck with your hatching.

I'm out of town right now and my son decided to let the chickens free range yesterday. I separated out the now 10 week old chicks into a separate coop and run about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time that they've been out together since then. He said it was hilarious, the older rooster puffed himself all up, dropped his wings and got in between the babies (they are still babies I think) and "his" hens. No fighting occurred, but obviously they need to be put out separately in the future before any fighting begins. I have to say that the brahma chooks are almost as big as the hens and even the pullet will be larger than the old rooster by the time she finishes growing!
We have 6 bantam hens that are older than several of our standard hens. As such they are higher on the pecking order. It's so funny to watch a little bitty bird boss around the big ones.
lol.png

We also have two broodies raising 7 chicks each, chicks are 4-6 weeks old and we've let them all free range with the flock the last couple days. One hen is from the older group and she takes her chicks right up to the food. The other hen is from the younger group and she waits until later to take her babies to the food. So the pecking order looks like it might become generational among those 14 babies even though they're all the same age.

I'm just not sure because I believe EE's mature a little later than some breeds.
I have a 6 month old BO that is not breeding yet........so no upsets ....
Being raised together, you may never have problems...........
Actually, until yesterday we had 11 cockerels in our flock and the Main Roo
let them know not to mess with the hens, but no fighting at all.
Hope
big_smile.png
that is what happens for you........

Hi all! Jumping in to say hello partway through my silkie's brood :) Here she is!

she is the one in the far right corner on her nest.
the 2nd silkie on the roost isn't broody, although I did ask her kindly ;) her nest is in the front left.

a peek at the eggs when my girl got up for a drink! sometimes silkie #2 keeps the nest warm for her while broody mama stretches her legs, eats and drinks. so cute!

questions:
1) do they look like silkies to you? or silkie cross perhaps? I am just wondering because they dont seem as fluffy as some other silkies :)

2) what do you think about 2 silkies co-mothering? the non-broody silkie is an experienced mother (2 clutches) so I hope that she will adopt chicks. everything I can find says they adopt chicks when broody, but what about non-broody? I am hoping to keep both mothers in with all the chicks :) but I am prepared to separate them if necessary

3) eggs are staggered.. egg 1 is 13 days, egg 2 is 11 days, egg 3 is 9 days, egg 4 is 7 days, egg 5, 6, 7,8 & 9 are 6 days!! that is 1 week in between 1st and last hatch. can anyone share experiences on staggered hatch? IE will she stay on until the bitter end, even with 4 little chickies scurrying about? >.<

Last edited:
1) do they look like silkies to you? or silkie cross perhaps? I am just wondering because they dont seem as fluffy as some other silkies :)

2) what do you think about 2 silkies co-mothering? the non-broody silkie is an experienced mother (2 clutches) so I hope that she will adopt chicks. everything I can find says they adopt chicks when broody, but what about non-broody? I am hoping to keep both mothers in with all the chicks :) but I am prepared to separate them if necessary

3) eggs are staggered.. egg 1 is 13 days, egg 2 is 11 days, egg 3 is 9 days, egg 4 is 7 days, egg 5, 6, 7,8 & 9 are 6 days!! that is 1 week in between 1st and last hatch. can anyone share experiences on staggered hatch? IE will she stay on until the bitter end, even with 4 little chickies scurrying about? >.<
Many hens co-mother quite nicely, but keep an eye on it. Sometimes a mother will see the other mother or other chicks as a threat to her own. In regards to the staggered hatch, a week is a huge spread. She may very well ditch, but then again, the other bird might take over for her.

Many hens co-mother quite nicely, but keep an eye on it. Sometimes a mother will see the other mother or other chicks as a threat to her own. In regards to the staggered hatch, a week is a huge spread. She may very well ditch, but then again, the other bird might take over for her.

Okay, thanks for your input! I also have room in the incubator.. I could put the early ones in the bator, hatch them separate (?), and then introduce them 1 week later when the other 5 hatch under the mama. Doing it vice versa, adding more chicks over time, I worry she wont be as accepting... I just have no idea :(

Okay, thanks for your input! I also have room in the incubator.. I could put the early ones in the bator, hatch them separate (?), and then introduce them 1 week later when the other 5 hatch under the mama. Doing it vice versa, adding more chicks over time, I worry she wont be as accepting... I just have no idea :(
I personally would let her keep sitting. If she ditches and the other hen doesn't take over, then go the incubator route. I have found that hens are more accepting of chicks younger than their own then those that are older.

Back
Top Bottom