Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

That's awesome that you were able to find someone to incubate some eggs for you! Also, that you were able to get a few more day old chicks to place under her.
I am feeling like I should be trying to find some local day old chicks to put under my broody when her four *hopefully* hatch in the next few days. Two hens aren't really going to be enough to replenish my egg production. :/
I don't have any idea where to even look for local day old chicks this time of year. I definitely won't be going back to the "farm" I got these eggs from.
I tried to order some from a hatchery but the shipping was more than double the cost of the chicks!
Good luck with your project today :D sounds like it is going well so far!

Thanks, Mebberry! If you were in Mich, I'd send you to the guy who helped me out. I also did my own feather sexing of the three yellow babies. I don't have a lot of experience, but read up on this site and I'll see if I picked out pullets. Apparently if there are two rows of varying size wing feathers, instead of one straight line, then a pullet. You can only do this when they are very young and of course, doesn't work on silkies. Here's a pic of the chicks with a silkie umbrella fringe...better than a heat lamp, I'd say. :)

In my opinion you are better off to take the risk of breaking her brood than risk her health. You don't have to take her off of the nest every day but you will need to every other day probably to keep an eye on her condition.
I'd hate to lose her. I'm watching her very closely, but will try to move her today while it's still warm outside. Thanks for your advice.

I took my broody Summer out of the carrier. She wasn't a happy camper, but still let me hold her. I found a broken egg shell stuck to her breast, but no foul smell.
I cleaned her up and let her out to see if she would eat and drink. She pecked at the food a little, drank a little water, but what impressed me was the size of her poop
ep.gif
!!! I had seen hers last week, but this time it was literally bigger than a medium size dog's poop!! ( sorry for the TMI, but I had to say this...)

I changed the pine shavings where I could see the remains of the yolk and then let Summer go back in. She was desperate to get to her eggs again. She is really such a dedicated momma.

I took my broody Summer out of the carrier. She wasn't a happy camper, but still let me hold her. I found a broken egg shell stuck to her breast, but no foul smell.
I cleaned her up and let her out to see if she would eat and drink. She pecked at the food a little, drank a little water, but what impressed me was the size of her poop:eek: !!! I had seen hers last week, but this time it was literally bigger than a medium size dog's poop!! ( sorry for the TMI, but I had to say this...) 

I changed the pine shavings where I could see the remains of the yolk and then let Summer go back in. She was desperate to get to her eggs again. She is really such a dedicated momma.

Lol...I almost picked one up one day, thinking it was an egg with poop on it. I was THIS CLOSE and the poked it with a stick. Perfect egg shaped white poo...lol

Lol...I almost picked one up one day, thinking it was an egg with poop on it. I was THIS CLOSE and the poked it with a stick. Perfect egg shaped white poo...lol
That reminds me of yesterday morning i cleaned the top of the coop because my older birds roost up their at night(and poo everywhere) but the top of the coop was clean when i went to bed i swear then this morning i went to check on the birds and the top of the coop was covered in poo again
gig.gif

I cleaned her up and let her out to see if she would eat and drink. She pecked at the food a little, drank a little water, but what impressed me was the size of her poop
ep.gif
!!! I had seen hers last week, but this time it was literally bigger than a medium size dog's poop!! ( sorry for the TMI, but I had to say this...)

it's great you have a good broody i would love to have one so i could let the babys out of the brooder during the day. the oldest chicks in the brooder are 5 weeks and they are getting cabin fever but i don't want to let them out until they are at least 8 weeks i'm scared of my rooster hellion will do.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom