Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Help! I have two golden sex link hens that are about 1 and 1/2 yrs old. One of my girls has gone broody over the lat few days.We do not have a rooster so there is no chance of hatching chicks. In fact she is sitting in an empty nesting box. I really don't want to confine her to a wire cage to break her. My question is, if I just continue to remove her from the nesting box and close it off so she doesn't have access, and there aren't any other dark, warm places to brood, will this pass?

Adorable! Wish my pullets would hurry up and grow up! I hated having to hatch all of my own this year. I raise brahmas though, so most of the time I don't dare give them any important eggs, that's what you get when you raise really big birds!
Thanks.... I understand and sympathize about the big birds comment.... my Silver Pencil Rocks and Black Giants all get oversized boxes for their brooding because of their size, and the SPRs aren't as big as brahmas! Both of these broodies broke an egg right before hatch, but probably a combination of their size and the porous shells.... I'm surprised more didn't break actually.

I had seriously considered the brahmas, and may still get them yet... but right now I am happy with the 4 breeds we have decided to keep and the pen is full with them and the barnyard mixes we still have. With us being on broody #18 for the year now I am busy enough without adding another broody prone breed to the yard!
th.gif

Help! I have two golden sex link hens that are about 1 and 1/2 yrs old. One of my girls has gone broody over the lat few days.We do not have a rooster so there is no chance of hatching chicks. In fact she is sitting in an empty nesting box. I really don't want to confine her to a wire cage to break her. My question is, if I just continue to remove her from the nesting box and close it off so she doesn't have access, and there aren't any other dark, warm places to brood, will this pass?

You can try that, and if it doesn't work, try the cool water bath technique.

Back
Top Bottom