Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

We have a couple inches of snow on the ground & it was 2'F last night. More snow coming tonight & temps will drop to -11'F on Wed. Yet, my silly bantam orpington thinks it's a good time to start a family!!! I had to put her to bed on the roost tonight after spending a few hours in the nest box. My daughter & I are very excited about her 4H project using broody hens vs incubators, but January is NOT the time to start. Hopefully she'll be a good volunteer when the weather gets warmer.

I opened the run yesterday during the snowfall. Instead of the usual rush of chickens, I saw a head peak out & go back in, then another.... and another. Even after I called & waited with my camera ready to get those 1st pics of chickens in the snow, none came out. Not even a single chicken footprint in the snow. And, all my breeds are supposed to be "winter hardy." I didn't bother offering free range time today. They'll be fine in the coop/run during this cold snap.

"Does she seriously expect us to walk through snow for our treats?"

11days until hatch! I have candled twice. I'm not good at it, but I think the bantam egg is unfertilized. Not positive about the darker RSL egg, but I think I saw something this last time. I guess I will know for sure in a few days. Exciting!

I know my setup may not be ideal, but it seems to be working. I have three girls that were laying in the dog box. One of those is Jessica who is sitting on the eggs. Her sister (mother, aunt, I -law?) Was laying in the same nest.....she laid once or twice after Jessica began setting and then she quit...I suspect she is 'older'. Then Sassy began laying on the other side of the box. She is the RSL who hops in, lays her egg and hops out. She doesn't seem to be bothered by Jessica and Jessica does not seem to be bothered by Sassy. No one else goes in that nest. When I say dog box it is the type that goes on the back of a pickup for hunting dogs. Someone had given it to us (we have no hunting dogs) and I guess when Jessica and Victoria found it full of leaves and straw they began laying in it. That was the first hidden nest I found. The latches don't work the best, but I am able to latch it at night and it is dry and has vents. I did put something in between the two nests but I could not completely separate them. In other words if Sassy wanted to she could get in the nest with Jessica but does not seem interested. I think I will build another broody hutch later but this is working for now.

I can't wait to see if any of the eggs hatch and to see what the little barnyard mixes will look like.

Olivia and her brood are doing great! There are either two males and one female or the opposite. I can see the differences in the combs but I don't yet know which is which. Two are lighter and wider combs....the other is darker, narrower and darker...harder to see.

In no way would I advise you to break the law, but if you shooting the hawk is out of the question why not make it think you are. I'd get some bottle rockets and send then in close proximity to the hawk.

I believe I have one future rooster and two future egg layers. I had just tried seeing the combs on the three chicks a couple of days ago....I got another look just now. The comb that is the darker color has developed to have definite pinkish red points on it...the other two look the same as they did....lighter colored. Yay! I wonder what jessica's chicks will be.

We have a couple inches of snow on the ground & it was 2'F last night. More snow coming tonight & temps will drop to -11'F on Wed. Yet, my silly bantam orpington thinks it's a good time to start a family!!! I had to put her to bed on the roost tonight after spending a few hours in the nest box. My daughter & I are very excited about her 4H project using broody hens vs incubators, but January is NOT the time to start. Hopefully she'll be a good volunteer when the weather gets warmer. I opened the run yesterday during the snowfall. Instead of the usual rush of chickens, I saw a head peak out & go back in, then another.... and another. Even after I called & waited with my camera ready to get those 1st pics of chickens in the snow, none came out. Not even a single chicken footprint in the snow. And, all my breeds are supposed to be "winter hardy." I didn't bother offering free range time today. They'll be fine in the coop/run during this cold snap. [COLOR=696969]"Does she seriously expect us to walk through snow for our treats?"[/COLOR]
Lol....I love it!

I believe I have one future rooster and two future egg layers. I had just tried seeing the combs on the three chicks a couple of days ago....I got another look just now. The comb that is the darker color has developed to have definite pinkish red points on it...the other two look the same as they did....lighter colored. Yay! I wonder what jessica's chicks will be.

Generally, no matter the comb type, early pink is a sign of a male. Pullets generally stay yellow or at most a peachy-yellow. If you have pink and deepening red, almost certainly a roo.

Post some pics and we'll help...good head shots and body shots...if you can of the chicks.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom