Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

5 at once is crazy ! I have a cochin who hates to perch just sits. I'm waiting for her to go broody. Or at least hoping! I also have a bearded Mille Fluer D'uccle I would like to go broody. Guess I need to let nature take it's course.
I did get a incubator , been studying the process and seems my broody is a lot easier lol!
Broodies sure do make incubating and brooding super easy; you just have to work with their schedule.

5 at once is crazy ! I have a cochin who hates to perch just sits. I'm waiting for her to go broody. Or at least hoping! I also have a bearded Mille Fluer D'uccle I would like to go broody. Guess I need to let nature take it's course.
I did get a incubator , been studying the process and seems my broody is a lot easier lol!

Have you tried tempting them with some fake eggs in a nest box? I've been patiently waiting for a hen to go broody for a few weeks now that the weather is warmer here. I stuck 7 ceramic eggs in a nest box and had a volunteer within a day or two. It won't work on chickens that aren't predisposed to broodiness.. But it sure might be enough to convince your cochin. :)

Yes broodiness is in the air.

My little bantam Cochins are growing up
big_smile.png

They are now doing the egg squat for me, and come running any time they see me, right up into the hutch when I am changing food and water. They are laying now too...I can hardly wait for one of them to go broody...I'm going to retry my Isbar project.

LofMc

Have you tried tempting them with some fake eggs in a nest box? I've been patiently waiting for a hen to go broody for a few weeks now that the weather is warmer here. I stuck 7 ceramic eggs in a nest box and had a volunteer within a day or two. It won't work on chickens that aren't predisposed to broodiness.. But it sure might be enough to convince your cochin. :)
Did you use bigger eggs? Or her own? She just sits all day! I'm hoping she will get to the nesting box
1f60d.png

Yes broodiness is in the air.

My little bantam Cochins are growing up :D

They are now doing the egg squat for me, and come running any time they see me, right up into the hutch when I am changing food and water. They are laying now too...I can hardly wait for one of them to go broody...I'm going to retry my Isbar project.

LofMc
[/quote have you had many go broody in the past? Are they good moms? Will my mille go broody?

Went to the coop one last time tonight to check on the broody, and look what we found

He's the only one so far, but she has more eggs.

My hopeful broody...

She has been broody twice since October and now that I am ready to let her sit we play this game. She seems broody, I let her sit on some eggs but she doesn't stay. Now back in October she would have loved if I would have let her on a clutch. So we will wait and see, this is of course after I pulled out the bator.

Quote:
Bantam Cochins are a breed considered second to brooding after Silkies. They are known for being exceptional mothers and foster mothers. This is the first time I will use any of this breed, presuming these two go broody for me (hopefully they should as I purchased them from a very, very broody mother).

Mille Fleur Cochin? Good chance.
fl.gif

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom