Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Jessica is broody again!! I am going to give her about four to six eggs....my question is....I would like to use some of the Cochin eggs....But the little Cochin man is not ayear old yet...do you think he is making fertile eggs yet? He is trying...just didn't know if he is successful. I can try some of the eggs and see, but I just wondered if it is likely.

I need a plan for all these future chicks!

I have a question I have silkies and want to try having the mommas hatch and raise the babies they are all in the same coop (this is separate from my main coop where my others are) is it ok to leave them together rooster dad included?

I have a question I have silkies and want to try having the mommas hatch and raise the babies they are all in the same coop (this is separate from my main coop where my others are) is it ok to leave them together rooster dad included?
I leave my flock together when I have broodies. Some separate. It really depends on the personality of your flock. Cock birds are not usually a problem with chicks or broodies and some cock birds (silkies in particular) actually take part in the raising of the brood. If your cock birds fight frequently, then you might want to be concerned that the chicks could get caught in the middle.

Basically, it is dependent on how your flock functions as a group. If they get along pretty well, I wouldn't worry about separating out a broody and would just leave the flock together. The advantage of doing that is that you don't have to worry about how to integrate the chicks and broody into the flock.

Ok thank you mine love each other and I think it would be very hard on them to be separated so that's great news my Roos are so sweat and haven't ever fought
Just remember to mark the eggs so that you can remove any newly laid eggs. For some reason, everyone wants to lay wherever there is a broody. I've even seen them sit on top of her and lay. Then she just tucks the egg under her with the rest. You don't want a staggered hatch, so removing the extras is really important. I like to draw a ring all of the way around the eggs, that way I can see which are being set upon and which are new at a glance.

I have 2 Roos and 4 females

It will depend on your roosters. Some are good with chicks and others, not so much. You will have to see how the roos react to new chicks. You should also consider the Roo to Hen ratio; when brooding the girls won't be receptive to the advances of the roos and will leave those not brooding or raising chicks to "satisfy" the roos.

My bantam (broody) pen consists of 6 hens and 1 roo who is a great daddy so it is possible. I currently have 5 broody girls and have just recently added 2 younger pullets to the pen to take some of the pressure off of my lone hen.

Back
Top Bottom