Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

We have two hens in separate cages each with 12 eggs. D-day is this Thursday. We haven't done this before but I understand we need to keep the hens and their chicks separate. I see lots of messages regarding egg handling and broody hens in general but can't seem to come up with anything for post hatch. How long to keep hens with chicks. Can we eventually mix the hens and chicks. Do we need supplemental heat.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Of course my history with incubator hatching has not been good but I'm ever the optimist. My wife, the glass half empty type says that 50% won't hatch, 75% will be roosters, two will have crooked legs, and a hawk will get the remaining pullet just before she starts laying. News at 11!

We have two hens in separate cages each with 12 eggs. D-day is this Thursday. We haven't done this before but I understand we need to keep the hens and their chicks separate. I see lots of messages regarding egg handling and broody hens in general but can't seem to come up with anything for post hatch. How long to keep hens with chicks. Can we eventually mix the hens and chicks. Do we need supplemental heat.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Of course my history with incubator hatching has not been good but I'm ever the optimist. My wife, the glass half empty type says that 50% won't hatch, 75% will be roosters, two will have crooked legs, and a hawk will get the remaining pullet just before she starts laying. News at 11!

The broody hen will raise them as long as she needs to. You will know when they don't need her anymore, she will start roosting again like a normal hen and likely go back to laying eggs around the same time. Having them raised outside they will be a bit more cold tolerant. I haven't supplemented heat after she was doing brooding them before, they will likely be feathered in by that time. The only time I supplemented heat for a broody hen was the dead of winter with snow on the ground, I was worried that if a chick jumped out of the nest before mom was done brooding it would freeze before getting back into the nest.

Thanks. Do you think I can put the two hens and their chicks together in a large enclosure or will the hens attack the others brood?

When I had multiple broody hens w/ chicks the same age, hatched out at the same time I had no problems w/ anyone attacking chicks, though I did have chick stealing / swapping going on. But this time I had two hens (both first time broodies) that had chicks 1.5 weeks different in age and the one w/ the younger chicks did attack the older chick. I separated the groups.

Well it seems to be official. My Australorp has gone broody after two attempts in last month. She finally will not move. She's turned backwards in box
1f61c.png
so I no she has not left eggs yet. I have her a few a hour ago and they are all under her now. I just grabbed out of the basket. I do have some I want her to hatch but will give it another day before I switch eggs. Unfortunately she's close to the lowest in pecking order. I'm worried my other hens pay push her off nest.
Last time I moved her she got so mad she broke some of the eggs. So I won't be moving her now. Should I put up a divider? Or wait for 3 strong days of sitting and try to move her again.
Funny thing is, I have 20 eggs in incubator and pepper my extremely good broody is also testing waters again. She's the head hen , hope she goes to other nesting box.

You shouldn't need any heat; the hens will keep the babies warm. It's amazing how much "tougher" broody raised chicks are. I had a hatch the beginning of December and Mama had her 3 day old babies out in 40 degree weather with no problems. They will run under mama when they get cold.

The hens will decide when it is time to "ween" the chicks. They will start roosting at night and may drive the young ones away during the day.

As far as mixing the hens and chicks - it depends. If there is plenty of space and seperate nesting areas I'd go ahead and let them mingle with supervision to start. Since they are both hatching at the same time you may have some co-parenting happen. On the other hand one or both of the mamas could be extra protective and peck at any "intruders" (the other hen & her chicks) and the babies could be injured in the scuffle. It really comes down to the personality of the birds - just watch things carefully the first few days and be ready to separate them if necessary.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

I left eggs piling up in the nest boxes, oops, and I've got 3 hens thinking about setting. Do people even buy hybrid chickens, like say CCL x blue ameraucana CCL x EE or australorp, leghorn, SS? My flock all runs together, and my only rooster is the CCL.

I left eggs piling up in the nest boxes, oops, and I've got 3 hens thinking about setting. Do people even buy hybrid chickens, like say CCL x blue ameraucana CCL x EE or australorp, leghorn, SS? My flock all runs together, and my only rooster is the CCL.
I like the terms, "Backyard" or "Barnyard" chickens. Over the years we have been gifted some pure breeds. My first girls were Backyard Chickens given to me by an old farmer who insisted that the best chickens are mixed breed who make better foragers, mothers, and layers. My girls lay white, pink, green, blue, tan and dark brown eggs. We do not breed brothers/sisters. We do breed father/daughter and mother/son. Every generation produces pleasant surprises. And their looks are unique. One of my favorites is Rhode Island Red crossed with Barred Rocks. I know from experience that eggs from pure breeds are more difficult to incubate than eggs from the crosses.

I am thinking about letting my silkie sit on some eggs. She hasn't shown any signs of being broody yet, but I was wondering if I put some eggs in there if that would be some encouragement. Also, she is a very small silkie, what would be a good number of large chicken eggs to give her?

Back
Top Bottom