Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Poor Cookie. She's not gonna be able to hatch THAT! LOL
lau.gif

Successfully moved my 2 broodies to the garage (one was in the coop, 1 was in a corner of the house, she had jumped the fence out of the run). I have them in separate spaces (1 a dog crate, 1 a kid fence area)... how long after hatch should I be trying to stash them back in the coop?

Successfully moved my 2 broodies to the garage (one was in the coop, 1 was in a corner of the house, she had jumped the fence out of the run). I have them in separate spaces (1 a dog crate, 1 a kid fence area)... how long after hatch should I be trying to stash them back in the coop?
They can stay outside when they are fully feathered but need to be with the broody. If the coop is predator proof is another important requirement. They cannot fend off rodents and snakes. The roos though protective may not be fast enough when asleep. Also, temp requirements for their age> are 95F minus 5F every week. I usually don't have chicks this time of year. My problem is it got too hot to leave my brooderless chicks alone outside in a rabbit cage on the balcony. Cheers

Snapped this pic of our patient broody, Lacey, while working in the coop this evening. Hanging chicks are plenty big to not necessarily need cuddled but they sure love their mommy time still!

In another wider shot you can see one of our other sitting broodies watching the activity from a top nest box.

They can stay outside when they are fully feathered but need to be with the broody. If the coop is predator proof is another important requirement. They cannot fend off rodents and snakes. The roos though protective may not be fast enough when asleep. Also, temp requirements for their age> are 95F minus 5F every week. I usually don't have chicks this time of year. My problem is it got too hot to leave my brooderless chicks alone outside in a rabbit cage on the balcony. Cheers

My coop is predator proof, but I guess a mouse or snake could get in... I thought the temp requirement was invalid if you had a mama raising them? I'm going to keep the mama with babies, just wondering how old babies have to be before I move the whole family out to the small coop. In Michigan. In October. Yeah, it's cold, but that's what they decided to do, I'm just hoping they know what they're doing!

My coop is predator proof, but I guess a mouse or snake could get in... I thought the temp requirement was invalid if you had a mama raising them? I'm going to keep the mama with babies, just wondering how old babies have to be before I move the whole family out to the small coop. In Michigan. In October. Yeah, it's cold, but that's what they decided to do, I'm just hoping they know what they're doing!

Temps really don't matter with a broody as long as some criteria is met...
...allow the hen and chicks some time to acclimate to the outside temps if they have been kept inside a heated area....Move to an unheated or minimal heat area for a couple of days before moving them outside.

...make sure there is a well protected (from wind / weather) area for them to sleep. Broody will handle the rest.

...make sure the Littles can navigate any ramps or doors to follow the hen to the nest and be prepared to check them and rescue stragglers the first couple of evenings while they get used to the new nest.

Our hens hatch year round, temps don't matter to them but extra attention makes it easier for them to avoid incidents.

Temps really don't matter with a broody as long as some criteria is met...
...allow the hen and chicks some time to acclimate to the outside temps if they have been kept inside a heated area....Move to an unheated or minimal heat area for a couple of days before moving them outside.

...make sure there is a well protected (from wind / weather) area for them to sleep. Broody will handle the rest.

...make sure the Littles can navigate any ramps or doors to follow the hen to the nest and be prepared to check them and rescue stragglers the first couple of evenings while they get used to the new nest.

Our hens hatch year round, temps don't matter to them but extra attention makes it easier for them to avoid incidents.
Thanks!

Yes, I think I meet all of those..
Right now the 2 broodies are in an unheated garage where the door gets opened frequently. They're not much warmer than outside.
They have a small coop that will be just for the 2 mamas and their babies. it's well protected and has a small run (11x5). I will have to add chicken wire to the bottom, because chicks can fit through the 2x4 wire fencing and into the rest of the run with the other chickens...
The coop is on the ground-- no ramps or steps.

So should I move them right after they hatch? Or give them a couple days?
And right now the 2 broodies are separated from each other... when can I put them and their chicks together? The chicks should only be AT MOST a week apart in age.

Thanks!

Yes, I think I meet all of those..
Right now the 2 broodies are in an unheated garage where the door gets opened frequently. They're not much warmer than outside.
They have a small coop that will be just for the 2 mamas and their babies. it's well protected and has a small run (11x5). I will have to add chicken wire to the bottom, because chicks can fit through the 2x4 wire fencing and into the rest of the run with the other chickens...
The coop is on the ground-- no ramps or steps.

So should I move them right after they hatch? Or give them a couple days?
And right now the 2 broodies are separated from each other... when can I put them and their chicks together? The chicks should only be AT MOST a week apart in age.
Do you shut the door at night because rats and raccoons have no problem eating through chicken wire. They also dig under it to get in so 1/4 inch hardware material buried against the fence. down 3 inches and outwards a foot maybe. Do I have to mention they can also climb it and chew through it. I like to use the outside as just a day time area. I don't know if bringing them back into the garage at night is better for you.

Last edited:
So probably a silly question, but what the heck. I have a broody who is due to hatch on Saturday (unproven, but third generation from very good mothers), and 11 eggs in the incubator due to hatch the following Saturday. Think there is any hope of the broody hen accepting chicks a week younger than her own? I have had good sucess grafting chicks previous (to this hen's mother), but am kinda thinking that may be too much difference in age. Thoughts??
not a silly question,
and how many chicks are you getting her to raise? 11 plus?, you need another broody or an incubator. home made with plastic tote and heat lamp. there is many posts about this earlier.
age wise 7 days is the outside maximum difference but I am use to small broods of 3 or 4 so more than 11 is unfathomable. They can get cold after hatching and develop illnesses or die of exposure.
You might make a combination broody/incubator, alot bigger than a tote.
dog kennels, wire kind, are big. I cover mine up at night.
She could also kill any chicks that are new just because.
Broodies can go crazy trying to deal with all they have too.

Back
Top Bottom