Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Super news. That is amazing. Tell hubby (if he is willing) to put some Chick Saver electrolytes/vitamins into the water. I see some curling on the toes that should hopefully correct out as it dries, but you can get toe curling with cold, long hatches. Vitamin supplements can help ward some of it off as the baby is likely depleted from the longer, arduous hatch.

LofMc

Thank you for that advice - I texted it to hubby, since I have Chick Saver in the barn! It was a very long hatch for the little baby (in my very make-shift incubator). I'm super stoked about one chick making it, now I just have my fingers crossed that it develops okay. It will have to be a house-chick for a little while, since it's a loner and I no longer have a broody to keep it warm. Not what I had planned....but we shall adjust :)

Whenever I brood chicks (as opposed to a broody hen) I always use feather duster "mom" we call it "blue mom" here b/c the cheap feather dusters we can get at our local dollar store are blue. I group some together and suspend them in the brooder so they barely touch the ground. It comforts them and they can get under it like a real mom, it helps to keep them warm trapping body heat

Whenever I brood chicks (as opposed to a broody hen) I always use feather duster "mom" we call it "blue mom" here b/c the cheap feather dusters we can get at our local dollar store are blue. I group some together and suspend them in the brooder so they barely touch the ground. It comforts them and they can get under it like a real mom, it helps to keep them warm trapping body heat

That is a cute idea I will do that next time I hatch my own chicks

This works well with any chick/duckling/etc. with leg and foot problems. It helps a great deal with balance and keeping feet under the body.

Last edited:

Baby is up and around today - hubby seems to be taking good care of it. Such a cute little baby that I totally didn't expect to make it :love Now I can't wait to get home so I can see it in person lol - it's very hard having your first ever hatch when you can't be home to take care of it!

Baby is up and around today - hubby seems to be taking good care of it. Such a cute little baby that I totally didn't expect to make it
love.gif
Now I can't wait to get home so I can see it in person lol - it's very hard having your first ever hatch when you can't be home to take care of it!

That looks like one happy chick! and it seems her feet are figuring out how to work just right
again congrats! good things come to those who wait.
big_smile.png

That looks like one happy chick! and it seems her feet are figuring out how to work just right
again congrats! good things come to those who wait. :D

Thanks! I am pretty thrilled that she looks like she's doing well. I did ask hubby to put some vitamins in her water - she did have a very long hatch and probably needed them. I was so bummed when I had to fly out and she was still peeping at me from the egg. No more hatches for a little while - my nerves are shot from this one :lol:

Thanks! I am pretty thrilled that she looks like she's doing well. I did ask hubby to put some vitamins in her water - she did have a very long hatch and probably needed them. I was so bummed when I had to fly out and she was still peeping at me from the egg. No more hatches for a little while - my nerves are shot from this one :lol:

So glad she is going strong! Congrats on getting her through a bad situation.

Baby is up and around today - hubby seems to be taking good care of it. Such a cute little baby that I totally didn't expect to make it
love.gif
Now I can't wait to get home so I can see it in person lol - it's very hard having your first ever hatch when you can't be home to take care of it!

So happy to see chick looking so well. Tell hubby to keep her on the Chick Saver until you get home...the extra vitamins at normal dosage should continue to rebuild her after such a less than desirable hatch...but she looks awesome. Feet look great.

LofMc

No pics (no time for photos)...but Backyard Star is looking great with momma Silkie. No fear of lonely only as she has momma and two aunties to keep her company. This one is sticking very close to momma...and I've been told when breeding, shrug off the losses of those who don't have the smarts to stay alive. This one is a survivor, and becoming a right proper chicken, scratching all day long beside her momma, with still a few warm ups.

Will try to get some photos for progress.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom