Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

So happy to see chick looking so well. Tell hubby to keep her on the Chick Saver until you get home...the extra vitamins at normal dosage should continue to rebuild her after such a less than desirable hatch...but she looks awesome. Feet look great.

LofMc

Hubby just texted that she got stuck somewhere while he was at work, and didn't make it. She looked so wonderful after a tough hatch. Apparently she was curious and into everything. I'll have to see what she got into when I get home tomorrow, hopefully can prevent future accidents - I don't know how he had things set up. Just heartbroken here - didn't even get to play with her :hit

Hubby just texted that she got stuck somewhere while he was at work, and didn't make it. She looked so wonderful after a tough hatch. Apparently she was curious and into everything. I'll have to see what she got into when I get home tomorrow, hopefully can prevent future accidents - I don't know how he had things set up. Just heartbroken here - didn't even get to play with her
hit.gif
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry

Hubby just texted that she got stuck somewhere while he was at work, and didn't make it. She looked so wonderful after a tough hatch. Apparently she was curious and into everything. I'll have to see what she got into when I get home tomorrow, hopefully can prevent future accidents - I don't know how he had things set up. Just heartbroken here - didn't even get to play with her
hit.gif

That is heartbreaking...I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

LofMc

Whenever I brood chicks (as opposed to a broody hen) I always use feather duster "mom" we call it "blue mom" here b/c the cheap feather dusters we can get at our local dollar store are blue. I group some together and suspend them in the brooder so they barely touch the ground. It comforts them and they can get under it like a real mom, it helps to keep them warm trapping body heat

@Lady of McCamley I did not know how to answer from the ovation page. Yes I do use a ceramic heat bulb, no light so they get used to a light / dark cycle from hatch. But I only use it for a much shorter time then most human brooded chicks. It is on day and night for about 1 week, after that it is only on at night for another week or so depending on how the chicks act.

With all the little hot bodies snuggled into the feathers they stay much warmer on their own. When I first start turning the heat down I listen for the "I'm cold" cry and put my hand in the middle of the blue mom to check that the chicks feet and legs are warm, if they are they don't need the artificial heat any more.

I need to remember the blue mom, if i break down and get chicks from the store again. I bought a pet heating pad, last year and after i was finished with the heat lamp i would put the pad under the tote. It gave them a warm spot and i didnt need to wash the cover.

I am planning on getting chicks tonight to put under a broody hen. She is a first time mom but always been a very determined to sit. She has been sitting on eggs for over a week.

How old is to old for chicks to be adopted by a broody? These babies were hatched Jan. 13th and today is the 16th so 3 days old. I have the broody box dark and quiet so hopefully it will go smooth!
fl.gif

I think alot of that depends on the Broody.
She may move away from the chicks thinking they could harm her eggs.

ps
Just watch very closely for any problems

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom