Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I didn't move her to a new location, I just put a movable nesting box in her corner while she was off the nest. I had no clue how I'd transfer her and her nest and eggs when I couldn't see! I'll let her settle into her movable nest for a few days before I move it to a new location at night. I think she panicked b/c she thought her eggs were gone, as soon as she saw they were in the strange new container she was happy.

Any tips on choosing the best eggs to put under her once I move her nest to the brooder and she is settled there?

I love watching her. Didn't realize broody TV would be almost as much fun as chick TV!

I didn't move her to a new location, I just put a movable nesting box in her corner while she was off the nest. I had no clue how I'd transfer her and her nest and eggs when I couldn't see! I'll let her settle into her movable nest for a few days before I move it to a new location at night. I think she panicked b/c she thought her eggs were gone, as soon as she saw they were in the strange new container she was happy.

Any tips on choosing the best eggs to put under her once I move her nest to the brooder and she is settled there?

I love watching her. Didn't realize broody TV would be almost as much fun as chick TV!
I guess I should go back to my above post and add that if you "move" her into a new nest in the same spot it would probably be the best to do that just after dark so it does not scare/frighten her---as you seen. I flash a lite on for a second to get my bearings if needed to I will do it again in a few seconds---I just never leave it on.

As far as eggs---just pick normal size fertile eggs for her. You can be collecting those now if you are going to give them to ger in a few days.

Last edited:
Breaking Broodies is simple-----putting eggs under them is not the way to do it----LOL

That's how I break them.
lau.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom