Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Seriously concerned for my broody today. It is 104 and I haven't seen her drink or eat. She is off the nest trying to scratch in the dirt and dust bathe I assume so she can cool down the eggs. I prayed the dirt witth some water as it is bone dry. Sure hope these eggs will survive and her. Forecast is for 100 the next 4 days. I have all my other chickens under misters and redwood trees.

Mine have the same issue 105 tomorrow, I place ice treat just outside her nest and force her off to cool down around 1pm

I'll join in. My Polish went broody for the first time about a month ago so I broke down and bought some fertile barnyard mix eggs from Craigslist. I gave three to my broody and did my first "dryish" incubation on the remaining nine. At ten days I found 2 eggs to be clear (one under the broody) so I tossed them and gave an incubator egg to the broody to keep her at three. Fast forward to yesterday (day 20) and the babies started coming. Between yesterday and today all three broody eggs plus five of the seven incubator eggs have hatched!

Question...do you think putting five additional chicks in with the new mama tonight will be too much?

I'll join in. My Polish went broody for the first time about a month ago so I broke down and bought some fertile barnyard mix eggs from Craigslist. I gave three to my broody and did my first "dryish" incubation on the remaining nine. At ten days I found 2 eggs to be clear (one under the broody) so I tossed them and gave an incubator egg to the broody to keep her at three. Fast forward to yesterday (day 20) and the babies started coming. Between yesterday and today all three broody eggs plus five of the seven incubator eggs have hatched!

Question...do you think putting five additional chicks in with the new mama tonight will be too much?

She should be fine, my bantam brahma is raising 8 EE all hatched by her and my other bantam brahma is raising 6 leghorns I stuck under her. Especially with the warm weather.

We've got 2 broody gals, one is our
X RIR EE mix gal, her second time broody, and our lab orp finally decided to settle that big booty over some eggs. They are both due around the 11th. (I think the orp. Kicks out the we that had started on those eggs...lol

I hope I can finally join in on this thread. I had been hoping for a broody ever since my only broody got killed by our dogs. Well this little, lovely over-bred Barred Rock has been sitting for roughly 24 hours and even does the broody cluck. I really hope she stays all the 21+- days. June 25 is the expected hatch date. I'll get back to you guys in around two weeks for a candling update and maybe more pictures. Wish me luck.

I hope I can finally join in on this thread. I had been hoping for a broody ever since my only broody got killed by our dogs. Well this little, lovely over-bred Barred Rock has been sitting for roughly 24 hours and even does the broody cluck. I really hope she stays all the 21+- days. June 25 is the expected hatch date. I'll get back to you guys in around two weeks for a candling update and maybe more pictures. Wish me luck.
Good Luck!! How many eggs did you put under her? Is she in a pen by herself or with other hens? If with other hens----Did You clearly mark the eggs you put under her so you can remove new layed eggs daily?

Last edited:
My broody hen, Bertha might have a yeast infection. After successfully hatching 16 healthy Guineas, I noticed that the feathers on her underside (belly) are gone. There is some redness and irritation. She is acting normally, and hasn't been pecking her belly. She is a great mother so far and I would hate to take her away from her babies. Are yeast infections in birds possible? are they contagious? how can I help her?
thank you
-Breanna

My broody hen, Bertha might have a yeast infection. After successfully hatching 16 healthy Guineas, I noticed that the feathers on her underside (belly) are gone. There is some redness and irritation. She is acting normally, and hasn't been pecking her belly. She is a great mother so far and I would hate to take her away from her babies. Are yeast infections in birds possible? are they contagious? how can I help her?
thank you
-Breanna

Broodies plucking their bellies is very common all my large fowl Broodies are bare bellied. My barred rock is the worst, nothing but skin. It helps them get better contact with the egg and helps insulate the nest

Back
Top Bottom