Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Lol! Broody flu.... I love it.
Ha...Broody Flu my Butt! It's full Pandemic around here.
lau.gif

Day 19! Eeeep!

I've been trying to keep this as an experiment in my head, since I've not hatched before, but I can't help but to be anxious! I haven't candled since I set them with the hen, so I have no clue if they have even started laying. I did see one broken egg laying outside the broody today (no chick, I'm pretty sure it was one of the cracked eggs that didn't make it). The other 9 eggs are intact.

Fingers crossed! *biting nails*

Day 19! Eeeep!

I've been trying to keep this as an experiment in my head, since I've not hatched before, but I can't help but to be anxious! I haven't candled since I set them with the hen, so I have no clue if they have even started laying. I did see one broken egg laying outside the broody today (no chick, I'm pretty sure it was one of the cracked eggs that didn't make it). The other 9 eggs are intact.

Fingers crossed! *biting nails*[/quote

So exciting!

Day 19! Eeeep!

Good luck!

day 19 just started for me. Some eggs are under a broody and some in the incubator. Opened the incubator to add water and lock-down and to my surprise, had an egg with an external pip and big crack in the egg. Since my flash-light was on already, I see that is pipped from the wrong end. So probably did not have any air to breathe and cracked the egg open to do so. What should I do with it? I think its too early to help it out but I think it will shrink wrap if there is no intervention.

Any suggestions?

Day 19! Eeeep!

I am on day 21 today.
bow.gif
I thought yesterday was day 21 but I guess you dont count the day that the eggs go under the hen. It is absolutely nerve wracking and I am heartened by the fact that yesterday I listened to a couple of the eggs and heard some distant pecking noises. Patience, grass hopper, all will be as it should be. Terrible advice I know. Good luck.

Good luck!

day 19 just started for me. Some eggs are under a broody and some in the incubator. Opened the incubator to add water and lock-down and to my surprise, had an egg with an external pip and big crack in the egg. Since my flash-light was on already, I see that is pipped from the wrong end. So probably did not have any air to breathe and cracked the egg open to do so. What should I do with it? I think its too early to help it out but I think it will shrink wrap if there is no intervention.

Any suggestions?

Sally sunshine has a hatching thread going all the time, assisted hatches are heavily covered. I don't incubate so I am about worthless on assisted hatching but go find one of the current hatching threads and jump in, they are usually really quick to help...
I think one is 'hatching with friends'....

Back
Top Bottom