Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Thank you for the advice. I moved mama and eggs the other day after I came home and found the hens trying to eat a chick from an egg that was supposed to be under mama. I've had another hen go broody a week or so ago and another trying to now. I think they all want a go at it.

Anyway, moving mama worked. We got 8 healthy chicks, 1 infertile egg and lost 3 eggs along the way. For our first time and mama's too, I think we're doing good.

BTW, mama is in her own area sectioned off one end of the main run.

Today's baby pics.

I hope someone can help me with this. My broody hatched 5 but still has 5 eggs left. It is day 22 and she has quit sitting on the eggs. I know that some are still alive. I bought an incubator today but not sure how to do it at this late stage. I am thinking that there is no turning, but not sure what humidity and temp and also how long to continue. I am keeping the eggs warm in a kind of "cave" till I can get some information what I need to do. Thanks for any help

I hope someone can help me with this. My broody hatched 5 but still has 5 eggs left. It is day 22 and she has quit sitting on the eggs. I know that some are still alive. I bought an incubator today but not sure how to do it at this late stage. I am thinking that there is no turning, but not sure what humidity and temp and also how long to continue. I am keeping the eggs warm in a kind of "cave" till I can get some information what I need to do. Thanks for any help

For hatching, generally you can set it at 99-99.5F, humidity ~65F. Give it a shot. Don't stress too much at some brief cooling - several folks this spring have reported their incubator going out right before lockdown (so, a period of cooling before getting the temp back up) and getting good hatches anyway. Good luck!

Last edited:

I see you got good info on setting up the incubator so I wanted to ask a question, were ALL the eggs your broody was seting on set at the exact same time? Or were they just added to her nest when-ever? Just for info----if all were not set at the same time---then a staggered hatch happens and it rarely turns out good---unless you set up a incubator and try to hatch them yourself. If all were set at the same time, then all will hatch at around the same time and makes it a lot better for all. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for that info. I will give it a try. The incubator said to leave it on for 8 hours before putting the eggs in. I don't think I should wait that long. It seems to be working fine so far. It has been 6 hours.

No, the first eggs I put under her were 2 the first day, 1 second day and 2 the 3rd day. Then my other broody hen quit sitting on her eggs after 2 of her chicks hatched. So I grabbed the rest of her eggs and put them under Tangie. Tangie is a good mom. I marked the eggs so I would know whose were whose and know the date that their hatch date should be . So the 5 eggs left are Tangie's and today is the 22nd day. So I figure the eggs may have a few more days to go. I left her last group that hatched in with her and probably shouldn't have. That is probably why she quit sitting on them. Too busy taking care of the chicks. It has been interesting. LOL!

Thank you for the advice. I moved mama and eggs the other day after I came home and found the hens trying to eat a chick from an egg that was supposed to be under mama. I've had another hen go broody a week or so ago and another trying to now. I think they all want a go at it.

Anyway, moving mama worked. We got 8 healthy chicks, 1 infertile egg and lost 3 eggs along the way. For our first time and mama's too, I think we're doing good.

BTW, mama is in her own area sectioned off one end of the main run.

Today's baby pics.

They are adorable!

Last edited:
That looks so confusing! I dotni know how you are keeping track. :lol: I have a few broodies, and I just gave them all eggs on the same day.

Lol I used to write down the date the eggs were set under which hen on a calendar, and then just remember the order by which nest box they were in. Now I use the Hatchabatch app, so all I have to do is look at it. It also gives me reminders of the progress. All I need to remember now is the order they are in, and that I still go by which nest boxes they are in. Oh, I do also take close up pictures of their faces straight on and profile so I know if they switch up, or I can find them if they have been off the nest for a while so I can make sure all is well.

No, the first eggs I put under her were 2 the first day, 1 second day and 2 the 3rd day. Then my other broody hen quit sitting on her eggs after 2 of her chicks hatched. So I grabbed the rest of her eggs and put them under Tangie. Tangie is a good mom. I marked the eggs so I would know whose were whose and know the date that their hatch date should be . So the 5 eggs left are Tangie's and today is the 22nd day. So I figure the eggs may have a few more days to go. I left her last group that hatched in with her and probably shouldn't have. That is probably why she quit sitting on them. Too busy taking care of the chicks. It has been interesting. LOL!

Yes, that is why she stopped sitting. Hens will sit for 2 to 3 days after the first chicks hatch, and really good broodies may stretch to a week, if you have food and water close by that the hatched chicks can get to, however, staggered hatchings almost always mean neglected chicks or neglected eggs. At times it can mean hens attacking hatched chicks to protect unhatched.

Sounds like you've got the incubator revved up for those that are neglected.

Good luck with getting all the chicks hatched and brooded.

LofMc

Hello all, newbie chicken owner, well not so new, have had chickens for two years. But it is the 1st time I have a broody with fertile eggs. Super excited. My black silkie has refused to move since Tuesday. She has 7 eggs under her. Crossing my fingers for a successful hatch.

Back
Top Bottom