Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

A serama pullet of mine went broody last month. I had some of her and a sister's eggs in the incubator anyway, so once i was sure she was serious, i gave her the 5 eggs on day 7. The sister later joined her sitting on them. I noticed a few days later there was an additional egg. I hoped it would hatch soon with the others, i wasn't sure how long it had been there, but it was developing nicely. Well, the 5 hatched last Monday and Tuesday. The girls finally left the other egg, so i put it in the incubator because it looked close to hatching. Finally on Sunday, yesterday, it hatched. I took it outside, stuck it under one of the girls and left for the day. Came home, not sure what i would find, but the chick is doing well. Right where it belongs. :)
That's awesome!

I'm more amused. I've never seen a LF(large fowl) broody....with emphasis on the large. She looks like turkey!

I tried moving her & it just didn't work. She refused to sit on her fake egg while inside the dog crate. After 14 hrs, I let her out & she went directly to HER nest box. Funny thing because it's the smallest nest box. I guess I'll have to just keep her there. Tomorrow (day 18) she will get ONE real egg so she may experience the sensation of a hatching chick. If all goes well, the rest of the hatch will be split between her & my very experienced broody: Cookie.

I did it! I found a little one acre farm near me with just hatched chicks. I bought 3 and brought them home to my broody. I swapped one egg she was sitting on for a chick. When she seemed ok with that one and it started listening to her call it, I introduced the next one. All the rest of the eggs were duds. Even though when I candled them they were dark and not clear. The yolk was spread out throughout the whole egg. And it was rotten. I have a video of the hen teaching her chicks how to eat and drink. And when she went back into the nest box she called her chicks and they all followed!!

IMG_7555.JPG

The two black ones were ones she hatched. The three light ones are legbars.

I have 11 KC duck eggs that my broody hen has been sitting on. Today from my calculation should be day 27 and still no ducklings I candles them at day 8 and everything seemed right on track. I candles them again about a week or so later the eggs had darkened and you could see the air sacks. Impatiently waiting over here.

I have 11 KC duck eggs that my broody hen has been sitting on. Today from my calculation should be day 27 and still no ducklings I candles them at day 8 and everything seemed right on track. I candles them again about a week or so later the eggs had darkened and you could see the air sacks. Impatiently waiting over here.
Any ducklings hatch yet?

Cookie got infected by the broody bug .... again! I tried explaining to her that it's NOVEMBER with winter on the way, but she's stubborn. She normally hatches 7-8 eggs, so I let her keep 3.5 eggs. (.5 = a silkie pullet egg). I'm guessing 3 will hatch, so she should have no trouble covering them.

Today is day 7, but I'm going to wait a bit before candling.

Back
Top Bottom