Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

The whole she is out for a break feels like a good way to do it for me but I can't work out what to do once I have the eggs - if I go back inside and find somewhere dark she'll be panicking by the time I get back and I dont' want to scare her so much she stops sitting but if I try to do it by the coop I won't be able to see in the light. She doesnt' really trust me too much yet (I've only had her about 6 weeks and I think her preivious owner didn't hang out much with the chickens or handle them so she thinks I'm wierd and scary!). I'm going to leave it a bit longer until around day 10 I think so have a few days to work out my strategy!

Oh that is so sad.
Poor little loves! This is why I want to do it even though I dont' want to do it as I'm not sure I'll be able to see anything / know what I'm looking at and I'm scared of upsetting her but better to try I guess!

Sounds like a solid plan., I'm going to just do it once too I think and I'll hold off to day 10.

Exactly - I did look at the incubator thing but decided for our family this is the way to go :wee:jumpy just can't wait!!!

So should I keep it simple and just look for the blood ring on this first attempt at candeling or should I try to look for more?

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on taking good candling photos. This is my very first time hatching and my broody girl is doing an amazing job! Yesterday was day 10 so I did my very first candling. It was an amazing sight to see! I wanted to take photos so I could share them with my family and here on BYC but couldn’t get a good shot :hit
And of course I didn’t want the eggs to get cold while I fiddled with camera settings so I quickly finished up and put them back under mamma.

If anyone has any tips though I would like to try one more time to get a photo or two.

Thanks!!!

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on taking good candling photos. This is my very first time hatching and my broody girl is doing an amazing job! Yesterday was day 10 so I did my very first candling. It was an amazing sight to see! I wanted to take photos so I could share them with my family and here on BYC but couldn’t get a good shot :hit
And of course I didn’t want the eggs to get cold while I fiddled with camera settings so I quickly finished up and put them back under mamma.

If anyone has any tips though I would like to try one more time to get a photo or two.

Thanks!!!
Have someone with you , taking them while you do the candling . I took some of mine, came out ok but couldn’t see the blood vessels. But still interesting to see.

Have the camera set on something solid so it doesn't move at all. In poor lighting any movement will result in blur because camera looses focus very, very easily in low light.
With the camera stationary just push the picture button as lightly as needed.

Some newer cameras have settings for low light or candlelight. ..practice a few shots with those settings using a fresh egg and a helper before going to the real eggs.

Have the camera set on something solid so it doesn't move at all. In poor lighting any movement will result in blur because camera looses focus very, very easily in low light.
With the camera stationary just push the picture button as lightly as needed.

Some newer cameras have settings for low light or candlelight. ..practice a few shots with those settings using a fresh egg and a helper before going to the real eggs.
x2
I took the pic of my daughter with the camera on the table. I turned off the flash. Both the camera & photo subject must be very still. To keep the egg still, it's also resting on the table. There was just a touch of glow from the egg to show her face, which is why I like the photo.
IMG_1019.JPG

Like an ultrasound, it's so much better live/ in person, but of course the pics are a great way to remember these fun moments.

:frow:frowso I'm now on day 11. Last night I went out to check the eggs - I was a bit nervous as never done it before. I took my son to help me and a dark blanket (it wasn't quite dark) I didn't get a really good look as the light was too much I think but I was able to see enough on the 4 white / cream / pale brown eggs to see there wasn't a blood ring and there was a shadow (which I'm guessing from all the pics I looked at is a growing chick). The blue arucuana eggs - forget it couldn't see a thing :he. I don't want to keep disturbing her (she doens't like me very much!!) and I feel like I dont' want to go through that again. Fingers crossed there is no egg'splosions and we make it through to day 20/21!

She is in a shallow plastic pan with shavings but when I was getting the eggs out from under her I noticed that the eggs are actually sat on the plastic as she has moved all the shavings away. is that a problem - shall I bother her by trying to put more in there or leave her to it?

:frow:frowso I'm now on day 11. Last night I went out to check the eggs - I was a bit nervous as never done it before. I took my son to help me and a dark blanket (it wasn't quite dark) I didn't get a really good look as the light was too much I think but I was able to see enough on the 4 white / cream / pale brown eggs to see there wasn't a blood ring and there was a shadow (which I'm guessing from all the pics I looked at is a growing chick). The blue arucuana eggs - forget it couldn't see a thing :he. I don't want to keep disturbing her (she doens't like me very much!!) and I feel like I dont' want to go through that again. Fingers crossed there is no egg'splosions and we make it through to day 20/21!

She is in a shallow plastic pan with shavings but when I was getting the eggs out from under her I noticed that the eggs are actually sat on the plastic as she has moved all the shavings away. is that a problem - shall I bother her by trying to put more in there or leave her to it?
My hen moved all the bedding away, and her eggs were on the wooden base of the hutch, I was a little worried, but they were ok . So don’t worry to much about it ,I’m sure moma hen knows what she doing. I don’t think we will stop worrying untill chicks have grown up. Mine are a week old and I’m checking in on them all the time.

Back
Top Bottom