Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Two of last year’s chicks that stayed began laying last fall. Six SPR pullets, two remaining hens. It’s spring, and I still have not had a perfect egg day. One girl was holding out on me. Yada yada, two lay in the back, and one has been missing. I had seen a girl staying in the nest boxes for several hours for about two weeks now. Since it was only for a few hours, I thought it was the hold out. Having a broody would have been too perfect since I have eggs in the incubator. Imagine my amusement when I unthinkingly stuck my hand in the box to get eggs a few days ago, and got a peck! :gig
Tuesday evening she was running around, screaming as she took care of her needs. I took the opportunity to refresh the boxes. She settled in one, and there she stays. Now she is not just amusing, she’s determined! Growling I’m used to, but she is roaring like a lion! :lol:
I need to add more color to the egg basket, so we will pick up some babies (not necessarily chicks) in a few weeks. Meanwhile, the poor chicks in the house will have to deal with a heat lamp.

Here is Jeg and Buff Mama, fairly sure they're both broody. Tried to move Jeg with no luck, she just paced around and yelled at me, so let her back in the box she'd been in and she's back to a happy pancake. We're off to buy supplies to close if the boxes and build some new ones for the rest of the girls to lay in. One of my thicc meat chickens was trying to climb on top of Jeg. 🙄
20210401_112022.jpg
20210401_112008.jpg

Has anyone got advice for what to do when two hens are brooding a single egg??

I’ll spare you the details, but basically, Ulrika also went broody very shortly after Lindy started brooding on a small clutch. We couldn’t dissuade her. Unfortunately the others either broke or weren’t viable, and they’ve spent the last couple of weeks devotedly coparenting this single egg together 😅 They don’t fight or anything, just hunker down in the nesting box as close to the egg as they can get, and swear at anyone who comes near. Including Miss Ives, who actually laid it but has no interest in parenthood right now, and prefers swanning around with the boys being brought treats and taking extended dust baths 😄

What‘s likely to happen when the thing hatches?? For now they both seem pretty content and convinced it’s theirs, but... I mean, do hens ever “share” chicks? Or are they just going to go for each other?

I was taught by the pro, @fisherlady , to incubate some eggs in the house, or be prepared to run to the feed store. If you really can’t get more day (to 3 day) old chicks, my hope is that they will share the chick. I think there’s a good chance of it. My experience is that the chicks rotate between moms. Also, one mom will take care of her needs alone, then return to the chicks while the other mom goes.

Has anyone got advice for what to do when two hens are brooding a single egg??

I’ll spare you the details, but basically, Ulrika also went broody very shortly after Lindy started brooding on a small clutch. We couldn’t dissuade her. Unfortunately the others either broke or weren’t viable, and they’ve spent the last couple of weeks devotedly coparenting this single egg together 😅 They don’t fight or anything, just hunker down in the nesting box as close to the egg as they can get, and swear at anyone who comes near. Including Miss Ives, who actually laid it but has no interest in parenthood right now, and prefers swanning around with the boys being brought treats and taking extended dust baths 😄

What‘s likely to happen when the thing hatches?? For now they both seem pretty content and convinced it’s theirs, but... I mean, do hens ever “share” chicks? Or are they just going to go for each other?

It will depend on your hens, if they co-parent it won't be a problem. Otherwise one will leave with the chick and the other will still be sitting.

This is my favorite co-brooding hen's picture. Everything about watching them raise the chicks just seemed to go more smoothly. lol
7-28-19 (29).JPG

Any advice on how to move them to their own enclosure? It’s set up further down the run, I’m just a little worried about how best to manage the transfer.

Not keen on leaving them where they are, because it’s a fair height off the ground. Also we’ve got two roos in there, and Miss Ives does insist on clambering in there to lay, so I’m worried about it getting squished 😬

Any advice on how to move them to their own enclosure? It’s set up further down the run, I’m just a little worried about how best to manage the transfer.

Not keen on leaving them where they are, because it’s a fair height off the ground. Also we’ve got two roos in there, and Miss Ives does insist on clambering in there to lay, so I’m worried about it getting squished 😬

Once the chicks have hatched I haven't had any issues moving hens with their chicks.

Back
Top Bottom