Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Trust in the hen.

At the very end, the hen stops taking bio breaks. Not sure how they know, but most of mine sit tight and hardly budge. The eggs are against her skin and the humidity increases as needed for the hatching process. If she's a good mom, she'll stay that way until she leaves the nest for the 1st time with her chicks. If started at same time, all the eggs should hatch at same time - within about 1-2 days. Hen waits until either all chicks are hatched or she decides no more will hatch.

There are many reasons there could be a delay in the hatch date. I had a hen forget and return to the wrong nestbox. After being off nest for hours (in mid-winter with temps well below freezing), the hen was placed back onto her very cold eggs. The embryos went dormant but didn't die. All hatched a few days late. I've also had a hen hatch eggs in only 19 days in the middle of the hot summer.

Trust in the hen.

At the very end, the hen stops taking bio breaks. Not sure how they know, but most of mine sit tight and hardly budge. The eggs are against her skin and the humidity increases as needed for the hatching process. If she's a good mom, she'll stay that way until she leaves the nest for the 1st time with her chicks. If started at same time, all the eggs should hatch at same time - within about 1-2 days. Hen waits until either all chicks are hatched or she decides no more will hatch.

There are many reasons there could be a delay in the hatch date. I had a hen forget and return to the wrong nestbox. After being off nest for hours (in mid-winter with temps well below freezing), the hen was placed back onto her very cold eggs. The embryos went dormant but didn't die. All hatched a few days late. I've also had a hen hatch eggs in only 19 days in the middle of the hot summer.
I trust the hen!!!
I just poked my head in the coup when I came back from shopping and...
IMG_20211215_123922.jpg

There is actually two chicks in the photo. One giant rhodey chick and a smaller dark one!! My daughter and I were leaping around hugging each other. Ginny is still sitting tight so I guess she has hope of more...

so the hatch was going on under her! congratulations to you and her. :jumpy
Ginny the dark horse - she was so calm! I tell you, it was mayhem in there by yesterday afternoon! She was still trying to sit on a couple of eggs and teach chicks to eat. Her world changed in a matter of hours. I'm just waiting for the sun to come out enough to see how she got on overnight.
Thanks to the lovely people of this thread for the help and reassurance!

Ginny the dark horse - she was so calm! I tell you, it was mayhem in there by yesterday afternoon! She was still trying to sit on a couple of eggs and teach chicks to eat. Her world changed in a matter of hours. I'm just waiting for the sun to come out enough to see how she got on overnight.
So awesome! Can't wait for baby pics 🤗

How many eggs was she sitting on?

We gave her 8 eggs. Three were not fertile and were removed at day 15. She had 3 chicks yesterday afternoon. This morning there was a new blonde chick that I think was a speckled Sussex like Ginny. It was pretty fresh but wasn't under her. I tucked it back under her but when I went to check them at lunch time I found it dead. A bit of a shame since it was an older egg that we didn't really expect to hatch. So... did the 5th egg hatch? I don't know! It's been raining pretty solidly so I've been reluctant to bother them too much.

So, no more good new today. Daughter and I went to check for the other egg and found it under straw out of the nest and cold. I'm not sure what happened. We candled it and didn't spot any movement. We buried it in the garden with this morning's chick.
Thus, we know we have a Rhode Island Red, an Orpington and a Wyandotte (gold laced? - looks very similar to my avatar when she was a babe!) chick.
IMG_20211216_151358.jpg

Back
Top Bottom