Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
Awww, so sweet! Sounds like they are learning to rely on each other! I'm sure things will be just fine with them!
thumbsup.gif

Lisa

ronikins, I have 2 that are going through the same thing, they will be 4 weeks old on the 14th. mama has left them to their selves now and they have stopped peeping loud for her they hang out together and seem to be doing fine. The night time when all come into roost is the worst. It's all about letting them know they are at the bottom of the pecking order and the only way chickens have of getting their point across is a good ole peck on the head. I always feel so sorry for the younguns having to go through it, but it is actually for the betterment of the flock, and I won't intervene unless it gets out of hand. My mama hen is much worse this morning, when we get home today I might have to take her chicks from her. Gosh I hate this part of having chickens, when they get sick and you don't know what to do for them
sad.png
Glad to hear your little ones made it through the night fine.

I have 2 broody hens sitting in the nest box together on the same 4 eggs. They should hatch in 7/8 days. I tried moving one of them to separate quarters with the eggs but she would not sit on the eggs. They are back in the main coop now and I'm going to let them sort it out but my real question is can I take the chicks away and put them in a brooder as I have a friend that wants the chicks. Will this be terrible for the broodies? I like to hand raise my babies so they are more tame and easier to handle. In this case, I need to rehome them. What do you all think?

Quote:
Thank you. I do feel better about it now. Sorry about your mama. Yeah, I'm dealing with our little one-eyer. I really want to give her a chance but it's so heartbreaking. And I feel so helpless....
sad.png

celebrate.gif
Our little Mama Rosie has 3 chicks
wee.gif
When I checked under her 1 had died and the other 3 egg went to full development but did not make it through the shell. I think the are buff orpingtons and not red rocks. The chicks are very large and yellow 1 is all black. The eggs were from the auction. It does not matter as this is a happy, happy day
ya.gif

great news chickette
thumbsup.gif
congratulations
jumpy.gif
wee.gif

you can take the babies Chickette 1 anytime, it is going to be hard on the mommies but if you can't keep them then what else can you do. I have a game hen out in the woods sitting on eggs, when she came home yesterday we followed her to try and find the nest so we could take the eggs, We Don't need anymore chicks either [room running out.] well we finally found her in a thicket of wild roses, my dh went down to pick her up when she jumped out like a falsh and there where no eggs, so she just faked us out, that smart little bugger. So we'll try again tomorrow when she comes home. So sorry to hear about your little one eyed chick ronikins but from all I have resd even totally blind chickens can make it fine as long as they have protection and extra TLC. all the best. Went out to check on my little hen that was having balance problems, she was up but still wobbly so I changed out her nutri drench water for electrolyte water and just left her in hospital ward with her chicks and will see how she is tomorrow. She still fiesty didn't want me messing with her or her chicks. So I hope thats a good sign.
fl.gif

Miss Lydia - I hope your mama hen keeps doing better and better!

Congrats Chickette
smile.png

Sorry to hear about your one-eyed chick, ronikins, and magdabmama, so sorry
sad.png

And how frustrating, Harewizard! We also received eggs in the mail last week and had a much better experience; our post man hand delivered them to our door and then told us all about the farm he grew up on
smile.png
It was the first time he had come to our door for a chat! Good luck with your hatch!

Both broody hens are doing well here...and the third lonely girl is making a lot of noise trying to get me outside. Even when I'm at work all day. I hope the neighbors don't get too upset! I made her a nest where she can go in and see the other girls, and she is still laying in it. Expected hatch date for both girls is 5/24. It's been eight days since the eggs went under and I'm going to try to candle tonight. We'll see how it goes...they're blue eggs so I have read that it's more difficult to see? I'll try to take pictures!

Back
Top Bottom