Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
Bantams are the best broodys and great mamas. as for waiting till next spring to go broody again, you'll just have to wait and see I have one hen who has raised a brood already this spring and is broody again, well just gave it up yesterday. so you never know. Most of my hens stay in with the flock when hatching and taking care of chicks, not many will mess with mama hen and chicks. Keep us updated on progress.

Quote:
Chickens can't see in the dark so you can go into the coop without fear the roo will get you.
Hope it all works out and sorry to hear about your Dark Cornish.

Quote:
Chicklette 1, i have played move the nest box all summer. They all want to nest high I guess they feel safer that way. I am over my limit and dh is really pushing me to find homes for some of my chicks,
hit.gif
I have such a hard time letting them go. I now have 35 chickens, never thought.
hu.gif

Thanks Miss Lydia... I am trying to stay out of the coop, but as we all know from the last hatch...my restraint needs some work.
big_smile.png
Sunday I actually had to set a timer so I would only go out there once every two hours. If my wireless was working, I would be camped outside the coop, with my fanny parked in a comfy chair, picnic table, umbrella, a full cooler of drinks and snacks with camera in one hand and laptop in the other.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I know what you mean, when i heard my broody talking to her new chicks today, i had to see them. I thought after 9 I'd not be so excited but you guessed it, I am.

Quote:
Thanks Miss Lydia,

Are you saying any amount of blood and evacuate the chick? Because the chick does have one foot that seems bloody and there was some trace of blood at the base of the chick's beak. I had been attributing this to the hatching process.

Dan

could be from hatching, I've seen blood from that as well. What I mean is if you see the hen drawing blood. you'll have to keep a close eye but probably all is well. if 1 hatched yesterday when are the rest due to hatch?

Great question!! I was expecting them to hatch today(6/18) so the one was early. I candled at 7 and 14 days and expecting that at most I'll have three chicks. I am new to this and at 14 days only saw movement in one egg. There were three others that were inconclusive to my untrained eye so I just left them to see what happens. They were darkened with an air sac at the end. Would you candle them at this point to see if it's worth waiting?
Thanks for the insights.

Im just curious.. how uncommon is it to have broody RIRs? I have 15 girls and there always seems to be two or three at a time that are trying to go broody. I have one that has hatched 6 chicks... I would not have let her hatch except she hid in the soffit of the coop... and sat on 24 eggs!! I didnt know that she was brooding until the day before they hatched!! She was well hidden... As soon as we found her we moved her (that night) into a secluded area of the coop but at floor level. I had no idea how long she had been sitting... so the entire process was left to nature...and momma did a wonderful job. I just dont need anymore chickens!

Quote:
I bet thats funny sounding. My oldest are about 14 weeks now. no sounds like a Kazoo yet,
wink.png
Do you keep all your roos too?

So far I have. This year I'll probably put a few up for sale. Doubles and triples of the same Roo aren't really needed. But of these 4 12 week olds, I am positive 3 of them are keepers. The guy with the kazoo crow, not 100% positive yet. He is obviously going to look just like Sammy, ........ the head roo http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u215/stonykill/chickens/IMGP1175-1-1.jpg

so if I don't really need him for breeding purposes, he is a HANDSOME devil for someone to use for breeding!

that Sammy is one handsome boy!

Very cool, everyday is a school day, here on BYC
clap.gif

Me thinks me like those Kazoo Crows!

Back
Top Bottom