Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
Great pics, love the one of Hannah so tired. Precious. I am going to half to get a white frizzle[hen] Mama is looking good too.

If my tiny frizzle, Hannah, is indeed a she, I intend to use her as the foundation for my frizzled EEs/Ameraucanas by crossing her with my Blue Ameraucana roo, Leonardo da Vinci, next spring. She has a LARGE weight on her shoulders ....
big_smile.png

Quote:
Great pics, love the one of Hannah so tired. Precious. I am going to half to get a white frizzle[hen] Mama is looking good too.

If my tiny frizzle, Hannah, is indeed a she, I intend to use her as the foundation for my frizzled EEs/Ameraucanas by crossing her with my Blue Ameraucana roo, Leonardo da Vinci, next spring. She has a LARGE weight on her shoulders ....
big_smile.png

No wonder she is so tired.
smile.png

Quote:
big_smile.png

No wonder she is so tired.
smile.png

yuckyuck.gif

I agree - they are a cute family! Hannah sleeping is adorable.
love.gif

I have a serious case of broodiness going on at my place. Several of my other silkies are jealous of my two mamas with babies, so now I have 4 more that have gone broody on me. Unfortunately I don't want to start anymore this late in the year. Poor babies will just have to wait until winter is over.
Good thing is, I think out of my 3 chicks, it looks like I have 2 girls and 1 boy. YEAH! Last time I incubated, I ended up with all 7 of them as roos, so really excited this time.
Here's a short video of the babies, their first time outside. It's a bit fuzzy, but they make me laugh.

I brought one of my silkie hens inside and put her in a crate... I let her sit in there for a bit to get used to it... She and the chicks in the brooder were "talking" to each other... after a while I took my two one day old chicks out of the brooder and put them in there with her... They didn't want to have anything to do with her at first, so I turned of the lights, hoping that they would go to her for warmth... They did. Both crawled right up under her... The hen is just sitting there... If she's letting them crawl under her, does this mean she's accepting them? Or should she be doing something else? She stuck her head under her (she didn't peck at anything) and I don't know if she was adjusting them, or looking at them, or what. She doesn't seem to have a problem with them being under her... Is she just upset that I took her away from the others, or is she actually going to be a momma? She wasn't broody in the first place (None of the hens are... I just picked her because she was the sweetest.), but I heard that you can put silkies on just about anything and they'll take to it... She's young too... Maybe 8 months...

We also have a Partridge Rock that steals other hens' eggs and will sit on them... But she only does that for about two hours, then leaves them... Thoughts???

Wonderfully sweet pictures BarnGoddess! My favorite was also little Hannah sleeping with Momma. I very much want a frizzle. One of the eggs under my broody is supposed to be a frizzle but we'll see what happens. Speaking of that, we're waiting for babies at any time now. Tomorrow is hatch day! Boneless Chicken ( what my DH calls this broody cause she's like a noodle when I mess with her) is still sitting tight on all 8.
Jloeffler asked awhile back what she was sitting on and I never did answer (sorry). Boneless is a Lavender Ameraucana and she's sitting on 2 Buff O's, 1 Austroloup, 1 Copper Marans, 1 Frizzle, and 3 EE's. So we have the possibility of having quite the group.

Quote:
I don't know how she is still able to sit on them! Too cute
love.gif

Did the stork bring your babies yet? I've been gone for awhile (sick family, ugh) but I didn't see any news when I skimmed back posts.

Back
Top Bottom