Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
That sounds SO exciting. I can't wait to hear what hatches -- and see pictures!!!
yippiechickie.gif

pop.gif

Once again hatch day was early.
jumpy.gif
Well, half early. Went in to change water and check food and I see 4 little eyes peeking out from under Boneless Chicken's bum. After some gentle investigation I discovered that 2 others had hatched as well. One was brand new, still wet and resting on another unhatched egg. Oh the cuteness is too much! All 4 of the other eggs are cracked (pipped?) but not much. Is it a problem that her wiggling to arrange the babies under her is causing the unhatched eggs to shift? It's turning them to where the cracks are on the bottom. Not much I plan on doing if it is a problem, I was just wondering. WOW, did I just say that last sentence? "Not much I will do"? Goodness, give a girl one broody under belt and suddenly I'm just zen with the whole thing.
cool.png

Quote:
Okay! It's morning. How did they do? I am really
fl.gif
you tell us all 8 hatched successfully! What a variety of cute fluffiness you will have!!
love.gif

X2

jumpy.gif
And CONGRATULATIONS!!
jumpy.gif

X3
caf.gif

You all are so sweet. Thanks for asking about the babies.
smile.png
All is wonderful this morning. All 8 are hatched and full of fluffy goodness! My kiddos are loving this hatch even more because we've been able to participate more. Last night I was able to use something Miss Lydia once said and I let the kids each carefully hold an egg. The look on their faces as they felt it rocking and thumping and then peeping was just priceless. They are old enough that I'm sure it's something they will always remember. My greatest joys in life are being present for good memories being made with my family.
hugs.gif

The chicks are all a bit different so that's fun too. It's fairly cold this morning and one is still not all the way fluffed so I'll wait for a bit to get pics to share. Maybe you all can give me some clues as to which breeds are which.

BarnGoddess was your frizzle easy to spot right away? I have one that seems to have very slight curling on the ends of her wings but I can't be sure that's not just wishful thinking. Have a great day everyone!

Back
Top Bottom