Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
I might be even more cautious than just watching for the first day...I have had too many babies attacked by other hens over the years, and I'm not sure whether one day's observation would be enough. But certainly as the chicks get older and older, they also are less fragile, and they also get better at learning to stay away from other hens. I wonder if certain breeds are notorious for being vicious to other hens' babies. And also if certain breeds are dependably nice to other hens chicks...

I think for now I've decided to do daily outings. Just for a few minutes at a time for Mama to stretch her legs, and for the babies to get used to being out. These chicks are special and I do NOT want to risk losing them so yeah..supervised visits while I'm out with them.

thumbsup.gif

I think for now I've decided to do daily outings. Just for a few minutes at a time for Mama to stretch her legs, and for the babies to get used to being out. These chicks are special and I do NOT want to risk losing them so yeah..supervised visits while I'm out with them.

well they had a short outing today. Mama was SOOO excited, all she did was take a couple steps out of the kennel and started to dust bathe! It was so funny. A few of the chicks ran out, and right back in, they did that a few times. Only 1-2 month old chick tried to go in the kennel and she scared him off. The roo looked like he was going to walk right in, and he just made a sharp turn and left. No problems, and no fighting. We will try again tomorrow. Maybe Mama will venture further out!
I'll try to share pics later, they are on my phone!

Well the 7 chicks has now gone down to 5, with one not developing at all and the other having a bloodstem and veins, but no embryo! This is probably for the best though, I was only supposed to hatch two or three....then the hens kept laying eggs under the broodies xD
But even better, I got a stronger torch and now I can actually see the chicks inside! I could even see a little foot in one of the eggs <3

Well the 7 chicks has now gone down to 5, with one not developing at all and the other having a bloodstem and veins, but no embryo! This is probably for the best though, I was only supposed to hatch two or three....then the hens kept laying eggs under the broodies xD
But even better, I got a stronger torch and now I can actually see the chicks inside! I could even see a little foot in one of the eggs <3

That is so cool about being able to see them so good. How much longer to hatch day?

Well, my little Uma, who is half bantam dark brahma and half bantam cochin, started laying about 2 or 3 weeks ago and has already gone broody, We gave her 5 eggs to sit on--one of her own, 3 WFBS, and one EE mutt (mom's an EE, dad's a mottled java/FBCM mix).

What's so interesting is she started laying at only 4 months of age and just turned 5 months old the other day (she was hatched in mid August). We were shocked when she started laying so young! I think she was 17 weeks old when she laid her first egg. Does anyone know if that's normal for banties?? I haven't had a lot of bantams. My porcelain d'uccle started laying at about 24 weeks and laid for a couple of months, but then her mate passed away about 3 weeks after being injured in an accicdent with a larger chicken that got the zoomies & accidentally ran him down when he was running across the yard. She laid one egg the day after Charlie passed away, and she hasn't laid an egg since--that was in September. She is just recently, the last week or so, letting our cuckoo silkie roo mate her. That might produce some funky little offspring, eh?

So we are waiting on Uma's eggs to hatch! Going to be an interesting little mix. I love broodies! It's been a couple of days & she is due to hatch her babies out on the 10th of February.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom