Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
I'm listening again this time. Day 18 and Naima is lounging, sipping on cold yogurt, on a nutty hot day. I remember last year you told me I should hear something. Didn't get to hear a dang thing. Just had chicks suddenly appear on day 20!!! Not that I'm really complaining. Just feel like I'm missing out on the FULL broody experience.
big_smile.png

(She actually let me see the eggs. Didn't see (or hear) anything noteworthy .... )

I am still worrying about my 2 broodies --
Heat index yesterday was 115 degrees !!! They look good but I will be sure glad to see if they can hatch anything in this heat! One is due 7/4 and the other 7/7

They are eating and drinking but it sure is hot. Actual temp yesterday was 103. I thought about misting them with a spray bottle but not sure if that would upset them or not.

I'm listening again this time. Day 18 and Naima is lounging, sipping on cold yogurt, on a nutty hot day. I remember last year you told me I should hear something. Didn't get to hear a dang thing. Just had chicks suddenly appear on day 20!!! Not that I'm really complaining. Just feel like I'm missing out on the FULL broody experience.
big_smile.png

(She actually let me see the eggs. Didn't see (or hear) anything noteworthy .... )
Aww i hope you get to hear something this time BG, just keep listening
fl.gif
I just listened again since mama hen was off the egg showing her first hatch food and water. it's still peeking.

I am still worrying about my 2 broodies --
Heat index yesterday was 115 degrees !!! They look good but I will be sure glad to see if they can hatch anything in this heat! One is due 7/4 and the other 7/7

They are eating and drinking but it sure is hot. Actual temp yesterday was 103. I thought about misting them with a spray bottle but not sure if that would upset them or not.
It won't be long now, hopefully they will make it till the end.
fl.gif
I have fans running in my coops.

Last edited:
prairie - I would be worried, too! I put a fan on my broody this morning, but it won't be near as hot here as you're getting there. But, I don't think there's much youc an do about it, other than maybe putting a fan on her. I don't think a mister would be a good idea, you wouldn't want the eggs to get wet..they moisture could carry any bacteria on the outside of the egg to the inside via the pores...do you have a way to put a fan on her?

BG - SOOO close! GO NAIMA!

I'm bummed about my Giant broody...she seems to not understand that she needs to acutally be ON the eggs in order to HATCH them. I found her, early this morning, on the opposite end of her broody enclosure, setting...NOT on the eggs. She got all upset when I picked her up. Before I moved her back on the eggs, I noted that she made a HUGE broody poop right on top of the eggs! What the heck? That broody hutch is 4' long, she has PLENTY of room to walk to the other end to leave that hunk o' poo! The eggs were cold....so I'm not sure if they'll continue developing. Sigh...............

My silver penciled rock broody never hatched her eggs. I think she simply spent too much time off the nest. I work full time, so can't watch during the day. She stuck like glue the last week, but we're now on day 29 and 27 (I think) so I think that clearly,t hey're not going to hatch, even though they appeared to have developed fully when I quickly candled. I'll pull her from the nest after work today and pitch the eggs.
hit.gif

You know, I had a Blue Giant hen hatch me out 6 olive eggers last year - the first time I ever used a broody, and it went like clockwork! Hatched all 6, and she was such a good momma. After going through what i went through with my silver penciled rock, and now with this darn splash Giant hen, I think I may go back to incubating in the incubator. So frustrating.

ETA: Johnn - cute broody pics!

Last edited:
Sooo when do you help a chick get out? My little Blanket is coming up on 24 hours and hasnt zipped yet. Still just a little hole where the pip is. I can see its beak moving on the inside and it peeps every once in a while.

I can't believe it but after posting that our heat index was 115 and temps of 104 I decided to go out and check on the mama's again and give everyone cool water. What did I find but the little black Cornish broody had hatched one of the guinea keets and was off the nest and setting on the dirt floor of her broody area with the keet!! My first hatch ever!! She has 4 more eggs but I am not hearing any noises from them.
She was not due to hatch until July 6 or 7 so this little baby is nearly a week early! I was so surprised!! Hopefully she will get back on the eggs. There was a bit of egg yolk in the nest and she must have eaten part of the shells because there were two half shells but they were not from the same egg -- I can tell because of the markings I put on them. Going back out soon!

Back
Top Bottom