Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

you could give the EE 6 and your black star 6...

You know, I thought about that but I think given the fact that I'm getting eggs through the mail the hatch rate probably isn't going to be great so I might as well maximize our chances. I have a neighbor who has already offered to help process the roosters, and pullets are very easy to sell where I live so the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned (the hens have a very large coop and are allowed to free-range, so crowding shouldn't be an issue).

This brings me to a question: if all my hens go broody and one hatches before the others, will they hear her chicks and try to leave the nest to go to them? I'm planning to keep the other two confined to large dog kennels if they go broody, so they wouldn't be able to go too far away. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but if it's better to place all eggs at the same time I might see about adding to my order and delaying it a bit...

There's something in the water that's for sure! The broodiness has started here again.

Molly, my 2 year old Silkie is sat on eggs again, her last hatch was 11 weeks ago and she only started laying eggs again 2 weeks ago.....
funny thing, she lets her 11 week old chick/pullet lay in the new nest with her.
Like some of you I can guarantee that the other 2 silkies will follow the trend
th.gif

Well tonight the orp was in the nest box, with a chick under each wing and three eggs under her. As much as i love her i am absalutley sick of her bullying. My ex batt babs who is 6 year old walked past her and the orp was standing pecking her so babs like did a submition to her (like hens do for roosters to mate) and the orp jamp on top of her and babs squaked and then the orp got on the grabbed a hold of feathers on her back and she flapped and pushed back and ripped them out!!, shes so mean!!
he.gif

The older roosters are now gone, living at their new home. It's been very quiet here. My little silky rooster hasn't realized he's the top dog yet, so he's reserving his crow for now. I'm sure it will start up again soon.

I removed the last two Maran eggs as they were not going to hatch and Topsy had abandoned them in favor of her two babies.

Smokey had climbed down from the coop so I went ahead and removed the wire on the lower section so her babies and she could be together in the main area. I left the landscape fabric for now as Topsy seems to prefer it that way.

i need help my little chick wont eat its chick starter and it keeps me up all night cheaping and it will just starve nothing i can do i was up late last night outside catching moths lol to feed him he likes bugs but he wont follow the momma hen outside when i bring him out he comes to me not her need help so it doesn't starve

Well for starter he is chirping for one of three reasons...thirsty, hungry, cold, or lonely...sorry, that's four. :) I have a little wounded one that I'm nursing back to health, he drinks fine, I drip a little water into the crumbles and that he likes. Cold? I have a electric heating pad wrapped in an old bath towel, set on low it stays at 100%, I used a candy thermometer. Lonely? I cup him in my hands, one on top, one on the bottom, and just hold him...soon he snuggles in for a nap. For nighttime I wrap him in a thick hand towel and set it on the pad...it's dark and warm, you may have to press down on the towel and hold him inplace, just like he was snuggled under the hen....this morning I had to open up the towel, he'd been so warm and comfy he slept in, then came bursting out all hungry and happy. Had eats and drinks and I took him out to spend the day with mama hen and all the kids...I'm very fortunate she accepts him back each time...good mama. Last night I took him back when after all day he began to lag, holding his wings droopy, and just couldn't keep up, plus it got cold out, sooooo. I'd much rather he stay with mama, but if he keeps on with the can do attitude I'll help. The wound is closing very well, and once he is healed and built his blood supply back up I think he'll thrive...he had to very strong to have survived this. If your chick won't eat it is an ominous sign...just keep offering and check the crop to see if its full.

I had 5 out of 8 hatch and one of the eggs was leaking some stinky stuff.

HINT to anyone out there that notices anything leaking from their eggs. IT STINKS, don't smell it.
We all really appreciate, "The hints," yep, very much appreciated! "IT STINKS, don't smell it."
thumbsup.gif

We all really appreciate, "The hints," yep, very much appreciated! "IT STINKS, don't smell it."
thumbsup.gif
not as bad as what happened to me, I give Melow a chick and put her rotten eggs in the nest next to her, then a hen stood on a egg and put a hole in it, and i went to get the eggs to throw and i picked it up and its spilled lal over my hand!!!!
sickbyc.gif

Well for starter he is chirping for one of three reasons...thirsty, hungry, cold, or lonely...sorry, that's four. :) I have a little wounded one that I'm nursing back to health, he drinks fine, I drip a little water into the crumbles and that he likes. Cold? I have a electric heating pad wrapped in an old bath towel, set on low it stays at 100%, I used a candy thermometer. Lonely? I cup him in my hands, one on top, one on the bottom, and just hold him...soon he snuggles in for a nap. For nighttime I wrap him in a thick hand towel and set it on the pad...it's dark and warm, you may have to press down on the towel and hold him inplace, just like he was snuggled under the hen....this morning I had to open up the towel, he'd been so warm and comfy he slept in, then came bursting out all hungry and happy. Had eats and drinks and I took him out to spend the day with mama hen and all the kids...I'm very fortunate she accepts him back each time...good mama. Last night I took him back when after all day he began to lag, holding his wings droopy, and just couldn't keep up, plus it got cold out, sooooo. I'd much rather he stay with mama, but if he keeps on with the can do attitude I'll help. The wound is closing very well, and once he is healed and built his blood supply back up I think he'll thrive...he had to very strong to have survived this. If your chick won't eat it is an ominous sign...just keep offering and check the crop to see if its full.
ya he gets mad if i bring him out to the computer i leave to get a drink hes chirping until i get back lol ... i bring him out to the mom but he doesn't know to follow her .. she pecked him once when she kept leaving and coming back trying to get him to follow her but he wouldn't

Back
Top Bottom