Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Final report of my 3rd broody ,7 out of 9 hatched
celebrate.gif
,last one this morning.

I cracked the other two ,one must have been infertile the other had some veins so I'm guessing it died during the first days of developing.

It got down to 31 degrees last night. There was a nice coat of ice on the waterers, and a frost on the ground. But guess what? My broody with chicks that are less than a week old did great! I know broodies do well when it is quite cold out. It was comforting when this morning each of the little fluff balls were running after her, as if nothing was different.

Lots of cute chicks here!

Aris- What a great hatch!

We are on day 22 today with our broody bantam cochin. This was her first time being broody so I hope some hatch. I bought 7 fertile eggs to place under her, candled at day 12, and threw out 4 of them so we were left with 3. The 4 I threw out we opened and there was no development in them at all. I haven't heard any peeping at all. How many days should I wait before pulling the eggs if they don't hatch?

-----------------------
Ashley

Disaster day again! This is day 20-21 and no peeps. I finally got up the nerve to get into Buffy's area and wow.There are nine eggs of 12 missing the shell of one was broken up and egg all over the remaining 3 eggs. I don't know if the other 3 are still good or not. Do I go in and clean the eggs? This makes time three no hatches. I don't know what to do. My rangers are old enough to lay eggs but no luck and for that matter the rooster has made no moves on the hens.If i didn't have 5 eggs hatch the first try I would give up and who knows maybe I should.

Last edited:
Lots of cute chicks here!

Aris- What a great hatch!

We are on day 22 today with our broody bantam cochin. This was her first time being broody so I hope some hatch. I bought 7 fertile eggs to place under her, candled at day 12, and threw out 4 of them so we were left with 3. The 4 I threw out we opened and there was no development in them at all. I haven't heard any peeping at all. How many days should I wait before pulling the eggs if they don't hatch?

-----------------------
Ashley
Well our old friend stony always said wait till day 25 before tossing. So give it a few more days. Maybe take a listen with the egg up to your ear or candle tonight after dark.

Disaster day again! This is day 20-21 and no peeps. I finally got up the nerve to get into Buffy's area and wow.There are nine eggs of 12 missing the shell of one was broken up and egg all over the remaining 3 eggs. I don't know if the other 3 are still good or not. Do I go in and clean the eggs? This makes time three no hatches. I don't know what to do. My rangers are old enough to lay eggs but no luck and for that matter the rooster has made no moves on the hens.If i didn't have 5 eggs hatch the first try I would give up and who knows maybe I should.
Since it's right on hatching day I don't know if I'd mess with the eggs, chicks hatch with poo on them so hopefully they will be okay. I'd believe I'd candle tonight to see whats going on though, if they are pipping then wait till hatch day then remove mama and chicks and clean up. Hoping you get some.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom