Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My two Aracuana chicks are barely a week old and I've already set 7 more eggs under the other broody silkie cross...someone needs to take this birds away from me, I can't control myself! xD
Hopefully they'll be colourful chicks, since they're all crosses!

My two Aracuana chicks are barely a week old and I've already set 7 more eggs under the other broody silkie cross...someone needs to take this birds away from me, I can't control myself! xD
Hooray for out of control hatchers!!!!
My babies are a month old and I am already planning next Spring's broodiness potential!

Hooray for out of control hatchers!!!!
My babies are a month old and I am already planning next Spring's broodiness potential!

Me too! I'm trying for an incubator for christmas, and I'm already deciding what eggs I'm going to be putting in there xD I might just try and keep an egg in there at all times, so I can always have at least one chick running around at all times!

yuckyuck.gif

I put 10 eggs under my broody silkie cross last year. That was my first time hatching anything.
love.gif

It was such fun that I have just ordered 10 Buff Sussex eggs for her. They should be here by Wednesday. Can't WAIT!!!!
jumpy.gif

Has anyone tried leaving their broody hen with the flock? I would be worried that the other birds might kill the little chicks. I'd love to hear!
thumbsup.gif
Yes we had a broody arucana hen over the summer. we had no clue what was wrong with her we thought she was sick haha we said he had the "cluck-cluck" dieseas but in fact she was broody. we left her in the hen house with everyone else and she hatched 5 eggs and they were all one after another. but once the babies were born it was scary because the nesting boxes are off the ground on the wall. so we were concerned on how she would pull it off lol but after all the chicks were born she laid on the floor with them all. cutest thing i have even seen!

This picture is of "mama cluck-cluck" and her first hatch!! :)

This is a picture of all the babies about 2 weeks old? and we actually had another broody araucana hen but for osme reason never hatched anything so when the chicks were born the other broody hen took the mother rool of the chicks lol her name is "aunti cluck-cluck" haha so that auntie cluck-cluck in the picture!

This picture is "Big Papa" he is the father to all the chicks our broody hen hatched <3

Yes we had a broody arucana hen over the summer. we had no clue what was wrong with her we thought she was sick haha we said he had the "cluck-cluck" dieseas but in fact she was broody. we left her in the hen house with everyone else and she hatched 5 eggs and they were all one after another. but once the babies were born it was scary because the nesting boxes are off the ground on the wall. so we were concerned on how she would pull it off lol but after all the chicks were born she laid on the floor with them all. cutest thing i have even seen!

This picture is of "mama cluck-cluck" and her first hatch!! :)

This is a picture of all the babies about 2 weeks old? and we actually had another broody araucana hen but for osme reason never hatched anything so when the chicks were born the other broody hen took the mother rool of the chicks lol her name is "aunti cluck-cluck" haha so that auntie cluck-cluck in the picture!

This picture is "Big Papa" he is the father to all the chicks our broody hen hatched <3
Beautiful!

Here's some pictures of my broody Australorp hen and her 1 week old chicks

There are 4 lavender orpingtons, 2 split black/lav, and 1 blue orpington chicks. The other 5 blue eggs didnt hatch
sad.png

Last edited:
This is so sweet, all your babies are so adorable! Love big papa what a good looking bird!

Well it happened, my other broody got chicks! She was not good at sitting, seems every time I looked eggs were tossed qside and cold. Some times she was out wide for hours leaving the eggs to get cold. Today I was all set to throw them out , yep had a bowl and was going to ather them up since she was due to hatch on Sunday and with the eggs being so cold non stop I just did not think they were going to hatch, well they did, 3 so ar, 4 still under her at 6:30 tonight. She hatched out 3 through out the day, I'm pretty sure there is going to be more tomorrow. How adorable . So got one broody with her six 9 day olds , the other broody with ? Looks like a crowded coop for a while until they go to there new homes lol.

This is so sweet, all your babies are so adorable! Love big papa what a good looking bird!
Well it happened, my other broody got chicks! She was not good at sitting, seems every time I looked eggs were tossed qside and cold. Some times she was out wide for hours leaving the eggs to get cold. Today I was all set to throw them out , yep had a bowl and was going to ather them up since she was due to hatch on Sunday and with the eggs being so cold non stop I just did not think they were going to hatch, well they did, 3 so ar, 4 still under her at 6:30 tonight. She hatched out 3 through out the day, I'm pretty sure there is going to be more tomorrow. How adorable . So got one broody with her six 9 day olds , the other broody with ? Looks like a crowded coop for a while until they go to there new homes lol.
Great news, Congrats!!

the chicks are 13 weeks tomorrow!, the mother is still with them, look at her lieng in the box the chicks poo in!!!! she sleeps in there whilst the chicks perch on the side!!!!, i know you can only see one chick but does it look like it is doing well growing??

Back
Top Bottom