Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

Day 29.

Went out last night and found both the girls off the nest. I took advantage of it and went to the eggs. They fussed up a storm but I got a good look I think. I could tell without picking them up that there are air sacs and some of them look really dark on one end. One can only hope they are viable!!

Day 29

Day 29

fl.gif

I have to admit...I've never run out naked, what a story!
lau.gif

I'm "semi country". We are by a railroad and there is a business next to us and a neighbor on the other side of the business but other than that there are fields but also traffic at the intersection which gets stopped by the train at times. My husband is convinced no one will ever bother us or come onto our property because of how I go out in the morning to take care of the ducks and the garden. I have this red robe and my hair is out all over the place and usually my teeth are out! I have to admit I've been caught a few times by the rail workers who have waved good morning so I just make sure I give them a wave back with a CLOSED smile!
smile.png

Isn't that part of the charm of country living? That you CAN! My neighbors have all been trained to call first. Told 'em I'm not running and ducking - so the first time you catch me hanging clothes or what ever in the all together may be the last sight you ever see and will haunt you forever......you been warned.
That would be great, but I am not in the country
gig.gif
I had just jumped into the shower one afternoon getting ready for work and could have sworn I heard voices coming from the duckling shed, so jumped out and ran outside before thinking about what I was doing.

H

lau.gif

I'm "semi country". We are by a railroad and there is a business next to us and a neighbor on the other side of the business but other than that there are fields but also traffic at the intersection which gets stopped by the train at times. My husband is convinced no one will ever bother us or come onto our property because of how I go out in the morning to take care of the ducks and the garden. I have this red robe and my hair is out all over the place and usually my teeth are out! I have to admit I've been caught a few times by the rail workers who have waved good morning so I just make sure I give them a wave back with a CLOSED smile!
smile.png
lau.gif

I had three of my four female call ducks go broody this year. Two of them shared a nest and had over 35 eggs between the two of them. After a month with no activity, I found that all the eggs were either rotten, or unfertile. From the other two, one gave up on her 7 eggs, and the other who had 12 eggs under her, got 8 of them to hatch!

lau.gif

smile.png

lau.gif

I had three of my four female call ducks go broody this year. Two of them shared a nest and had over 35 eggs between the two of them. After a month with no activity, I found that all the eggs were either rotten, or unfertile. From the other two, one gave up on her 7 eggs, and the other who had 12 eggs under her, got 8 of them to hatch!

What great pictures!!! Congrats. :) They're so cute and fluffy. I love watching them dry off...

Congrats everyone on their successes and so sorry for those that have had some struggles.

I have a story to share about one of the ducklings from my recent hatch

I woke up around 8:30 Sunday morning and poked my head out the back door and surveyed the yard and creatures. One of my rabbit bucks glances my direction and pokes his nose toward to the hole in his pen hoping I'm on my way out to greet him. My vision scans closer to see that a lot of the ducks (hatched in March) are circled around the pool. Sharp look in the water and I see one of the 15, ten day old ducklings in the pool!

"SH!%"

I throw on my boots (naked still) and run out the door when I notice a dark object bobbing up and down in the water. Lazily a little beak is dragging along the surface of the water and my heart breaks. Numerous and colorful words scream through my head and tumble out my mouth. Dave yells from inside, "what's wrong!?!" I toss the energetic but struggling duckling out of the pool and scoop up the lethargic one.

I stare at it, watching for how much life may be left.

*Gasp*

5 seconds later

*Gasp*

Poor, limp, little body in my hands. I rinse off its mouth and shove its beak in my mouth and give a gentle blow. Not a blow really, just breathing out. I have the soaked body tilted, head down in my hand hoping for trickles of water to escape its beak. Nothing, but *gasp* every few seconds.

I can't bring myself to kill it. Hoping that with a moderate inversion on the bench with its head over the edge, the water will just work its way out.

I finished up my chores in the back, still naked. Sadly walked into the house, shamed, defeated, and saddened. I dress for my 10 hour shift at the hospital and leave for the day. I get home late in the evening and beeline for the back. Neglecting to greet my excited dog. He follows me into the yard and I toss a greeting at Dave, laying on the bed.

I look at the bench. No duckling. I'm now convinced that either Dave buried it or the dog sneaked a snack. I count the ducks. 15. I count the ducklings. 15....

Wait, 15?!? Wait a tick... I count again, in groups of three like I always do and get, 15. I count a third time, my heart racing, my mind second guessing my eyes. 14! Dam*!% One more count.

15. "Dave!!!!! It's ALIVE!!!!"

Screen door flies open, "What?! How is that possible? I didn't see it on the bench and thought you took care of it before you went to work." (The animals and the backyard are obviously my realm)

He counts, gets 15. I don't know how, but the lil guy is alive. I can't even tell which one he is now.

I've since equipped the pool with better steps and tossed a duckling in to test it out. It works. I also isolated their water from the other ducks. I think that's why they went for the pool in the first place. Their water source had dried up. I really don't know how they got in the pool either as its very tall. But, where there is a will, there's a way.

Below is my new duckling feed/water station.

Take care.
What a great story to read today!!!
smile.png

Precious
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom