Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition

any candling going on?

Yep! I've only got 2 that are developing out of my original 18, but they sure are active! They should enjoy the space while they can!

I set them in the morning of the 14th. Since I've got to turn them by hand anyway (no money for an egg turner), I've been candling at the bedtime turn, just to take a quick peek. They're doing well :thumbsup

Yep! I've only got 2 that are developing out of my original 18, but they sure are active! They should enjoy the space while they can!

I set them in the morning of the 14th. Since I've got to turn them by hand anyway (no money for an egg turner), I've been candling at the bedtime turn, just to take a quick peek. They're doing well
thumbsup.gif
That's awesome!! and maybe since your going to most likely have these ducklings in the house most of the winter it's a good thing there is only 2..
wink.png
I'm happy for you please keep us posted.

That's awesome!! and maybe since your going to most likely have these ducklings in the house most of the winter it's a good thing there is only 2.. ;)    I'm happy for you please keep us posted.

Well it's day 13...I've been dealing with some temperature fluctuations in the incubator...one day it was running too cool, so I turned it up a smidge, and it's finally leveling back out where it needs to be. I've still got 6 or so yolkers in there and I figure it's time to take them out, I'm just worried that reducing the number of eggs will affect the temp in the bator (it's a still air model).

Still have the 2 good eggs, they look to be maybe a day or so different in development, maybe less. The big one is very frisky, but the smaller one wasn't moving around as much last night as it has been, so I've got my fingers crossed that maybe it was just sleeping :/

Last edited:
Well it's day 13...I've been dealing with some temperature fluctuations in the incubator...one day it was running too cool, so I turned it up a smidge, and it's finally leveling back out where it needs to be. I've still got 6 or so yolkers in there and I figure it's time to take them out, I'm just worried that reducing the number of eggs will affect the temp in the bator (it's a still air model).

Still have the 2 good eggs, they look to be maybe a day or so different in development, maybe less. The big one is very frisky, but the smaller one wasn't moving around as much last night as it has been, so I've got my fingers crossed that maybe it was just sleeping
hmm.png
I know nothing about bators but if you go to the hatch day thread someone may be able to guide you about taking out the other eggs. I sure hope your one lil one was just sleeping, they do so much better if they have a buddy to hatch with. Keep me updated on progress.
fl.gif

I know nothing about bators but if you go to the hatch day thread someone may be able to guide you about taking out the other eggs. I sure hope your one lil one was just sleeping, they do so much better if they have a buddy to hatch with. Keep me updated on progress.  :fl

The temp in the bator has been fluctuating a lot and driving me bonkers, so I shoved a digital oral thermometer through a hole in the side of the thing and every couple hours or so, I'll turn it on to check the temperature. Well, I was finished up in the spare room for the evening and was checking the temp one last time, and just as I reached over, I saw the egg wiggle! Then I realized the cat had just walked by the bator, so she probably just shook it. Nope!! I have a wiggly egg!

I ended up with just the one, the second one died around week 2, I think, but this little guy seems persistent, so I'm hoping for a duckling in the next couple days! I'm so excited! I'd probably be bouncing around the house right now but it's hard to do that with my nose glued to the window on the bator!!
:weee

Oh and I did post over on the hatch day thread to get some advice and make sure I'm doing this right...I am the worst broody hen ever :p

The temp in the bator has been fluctuating a lot and driving me bonkers, so I shoved a digital oral thermometer through a hole in the side of the thing and every couple hours or so, I'll turn it on to check the temperature. Well, I was finished up in the spare room for the evening and was checking the temp one last time, and just as I reached over, I saw the egg wiggle! Then I realized the cat had just walked by the bator, so she probably just shook it. Nope!! I have a wiggly egg!

I ended up with just the one, the second one died around week 2, I think, but this little guy seems persistent, so I'm hoping for a duckling in the next couple days! I'm so excited! I'd probably be bouncing around the house right now but it's hard to do that with my nose glued to the window on the bator!!
wee.gif

Oh and I did post over on the hatch day thread to get some advice and make sure I'm doing this right...I am the worst broody hen ever
tongue.png
wee.gif
very exciting . okay make sure humidity is up and don't open the bator about all I know on bator hatching, don't get worried if it takes longer than 24 hrs from the time you actually see the pip either. ducklings like to take their sweet time in hatching and rest a lot. in the mean time be working on your brooder it will give your hands something to do. and of course keep us updated.
fl.gif

:weee very exciting . okay make sure humidity is up and don't open the bator about all I know on bator hatching, don't get worried if it takes longer than 24 hrs from the time you actually see the pip either. ducklings like to take their sweet time in hatching and rest a lot. in the mean time be working on your brooder it will give your hands something to do. and of course keep us updated. :fl

Yay!! She (or he) pipped internally about 36 hours ago, and externally very early this morning! She's been wiggling all around, a couple times hard enough to scoot her egg a couple mm across the bottom of the bator lol

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go mad waiting for this little critter to hatch, it's taking so long! Luckily I don't have to work, and the bator is set up right next to where I do my homework, so I can be productive and sit with my nose glued to the window at the same time. I'm so excited! :weee

Everyone's got these fancy brooders, I've got a storage tote and some wire squares from a shelving unit to keep the cats out...and I'm probably going to run some newspapers through the shredder for bedding lol

Last edited:
Yay!! She (or he) pipped internally about 36 hours ago, and externally very early this morning! She's been wiggling all around, a couple times hard enough to scoot her egg a couple mm across the bottom of the bator lol

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go mad waiting for this little critter to hatch, it's taking so long! Luckily I don't have to work, and the bator is set up right next to where I do my homework, so I can be productive and sit with my nose glued to the window at the same time. I'm so excited!
wee.gif

Everyone's got these fancy brooders, I've got a storage tote and some wire squares from a shelving unit to keep the cats out...and I'm probably going to run some newspapers through the shredder for bedding lol
So exciting and I know they seem to take their sweet time about getting out. I used the bottom of a large dog crate for a brooder many times with an old window screen over top. be sure you put something pretty heavy over top to keep the cats from pulling wire squares off. How's the humidity staying?

So exciting and I know they seem to take their sweet time about getting out. I used the bottom of a large dog crate for a brooder many times with an old window screen over top. be sure you put something pretty heavy over top to keep the cats from pulling wire squares off. How's the humidity staying?

The humidity is pretty good, staying in the 65-70% range. It dropped earlier so I had to MacGyver some paper towels in there so I could soak them with water! I've been using one of the vent plugs to keep it from getting too high, open the vent to bring it down a bit, and close it back before it dips too low again. This is turning into a full time job!

The humidity is pretty good, staying in the 65-70% range. It dropped earlier so I had to MacGyver some paper towels in there so I could soak them with water! I've been using one of the vent plugs to keep it from getting too high, open the vent to bring it down a bit, and close it back before it dips too low again. This is turning into a full time job!
It is a full time job that's why I leave it to my ducks. Okay so can you see the membrane yet how does it look?

Back
Top Bottom