Old follower, finally registered!

Bernard P. Fife

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 8, 2012
Alabama
Hello all! I have been visiting your wonderful site for over a year now, and finally after the encouragement of a friend of mine on here, bit the bullet and registered. I had chickens as a boy and was one of my fondest memories growing up as a child. We had several chickens, but Sparky was my girl. She was always waiting for me at the chicken pen door and would sit on my shoulder as I went around checking everything out. She was a bantam and so gentle, of what breed I'm not sure (perhaps yall can help me solve that!).
A little over two years ago, my wife and I moved with our two little girls out in the country. We have since had a son this past September and so things have really gotten interesting! Last July, my 5 year old said she wanted some chickens for her birthday, so I gladly obliged. I had told my girls about my adventures as a boy with my chickens and it didn't take much persuading to get them wanting some chickens of their own! We bought four from a local family and later came to realize that Rosie and Reagan are roosters. Our other two, Dorothy and Midnight, are beautiful little hens and one of them has started laying. I don't have to tell you the excitement that we all felt after that first egg!
We have since started raising 18 more that we ordered with my friend and all are doing well. We have 5 Araucanas, 4 golden-laced and 4 silver-laced Wyandottes, 3 Dominiques, and 2 Delawares. Our older chickens are a RIR (Rosie), a Dominique hen, and two that yall might can help identify: some kind of game rooster and a beautiful hen that I think is a black rock?

I am about as happy as a dad could be that my children want to and will experience something that was such a special part of my childhood. I wish more children in this world could be as lucky!
I look forward to getting to know all of you better and learn more from this site to add to the wealth of information it has already given me.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif
Hi I'm Rebecca and
welcome-byc.gif
you made the rite choice in joining. If you have pictures of the breed then that would help a lot. If you don't then it will be harder to tell the breed. I'm glad you joined.

Back
Top Bottom