Old hen & BUMBLEFOOT

ButtonquailGirl14

Crossing the Road
Jul 13, 2017
Northport WA
Hey flock,

Unfortunately my 9year old polish hen Tina has minor bumblefoot. I know how to cure it, but I’m really frustrated... would an old hen be more susceptible? Their run and coop is kept darn clean!!! Always fresh pine shavings in coop, and fresh dried lawn clippings in run 1 or 2 times per week! No sharp objects on the ground either. Just wondering why this happened!

Even the tiniest of injuries can become bumblefoot, it's really hard to prevent it completely. Could have happened jumping down from something or she picked up a splinter. You just need a break in the skin and bacteria. I imagine that chickens immune systems can become less efficient as they age, just like ours, so it may be a contributor, no way to know really.

Bumblefoot can happen from a chicken just slightly stepping on a rock, causing the tiniest scrape. as long as the cut's open, the bacteria are welcome. Are you SURE it's bumblefoot? Is the whole foot swollen? The reason I ask is because I had a duck with the same problem, but it was infected and started spreading, causing his leg to swell. we had to get special injections to help control it. Pictures will really help!

Even the tiniest of injuries can become bumblefoot, it's really hard to prevent it completely. Could have happened jumping down from something or she picked up a splinter. You just need a break in the skin and bacteria. I imagine that chickens immune systems can become less efficient as they age, just like ours, so it may be a contributor, no way to know really.
Yeah... I suppose so!
Bumblefoot can happen from a chicken just slightly stepping on a rock, causing the tiniest scrape. as long as the cut's open, the bacteria are welcome. Are you SURE it's bumblefoot? Is the whole foot swollen? The reason I ask is because I had a duck with the same problem, but it was infected and started spreading, causing his leg to swell. we had to get special injections to help control it. Pictures will really help!
her foot isn’t swollen, but there are the black formations on her foot pads.. it’s a very minor case, but I thought if she got cut it would be strange that it was on the same place of both feet.

Back
Top Bottom