Old Hen- head bobbing, immobility, big problems.

New Hampshire

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
New Hampshire
Have a problem with one of my chickens. Sasha is a 7 year old Black Star. Her health hasn't been great last year. Last year I treated her for wry neck with vitamin E and selenium, and she got better, but she did slow down after that. Last summer she also developed a crop tumor that has gotten bigger, but by no means fills the whole crop, and it didn't seem to bother her. The last few days she has been doing bad. Symptoms include:

Wry neck
Inability to move
Sluggish
Off colored poop
Dismal appetite, although she ate a few pieces of grain and a few sips of water today.

I have been treating her for wry neck with vitamin E and selenium the last few days, although it isn't working. Any ideas? I'll try to throw up a picture as well. I don't want to lose her! Thanks, Ryan.

Last edited:
For a hybrid she is really old I would say she is just getting toward the end of her life, sorry but most black stars don't make it past 4 because they end up with problems related to egg laying, she sure has had a good life with you, factory birds don't normally last longer than 18 mo.

Back
Top Bottom