Old hen issues

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
I have a sex-linked hen (about 4 years of age) she has lost a lot of weight and her sense of balance. Her crop is not full, and she’s acting recluse. One noticeable issue is that she keeps jerking her head down every few seconds because it keeps tilting up. What do I do?

Last edited:
Pictures of your hen might be helpful. Does she still lay/has she been laying? Any other symptoms like pale comb, respiratory issues, or water belly? Have you checked your birds and the coop for mites/lice? When was the last time they were dewormed?

The balance and head issues may simply be from lack of nutrition since she isn't eating enough. I'd put some poultry vitamins in her water or food and encourage her to eat with some tasty treats like scrambled egg or tuna and see if she improves with a little TLC. At 4 yrs old she could have cancer or some other fatal disease causing her general decline, but it's always good to look for treatable issues.

If you have any video of her neck actions that might be helpful. Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or similar. Does it seem like she is adjusting her crop, or seizure-like activity? I would make sure that she is eating some egg and moistened feed.

If you have any video of her neck actions that might be helpful. Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or similar. Does it seem like she is adjusting her crop, or seizure-like activity? I would make sure that she is eating some egg and moistened feed.
No adjusting of crop or seizures. I’ve gotten her separated and hydrated, she doesn’t seem to want any food. To check for sour crop, how would I go about this? Her breath doesn’t smell good but I don’t know if it qualifies for sour crop.

Pictures of your hen might be helpful. Does she still lay/has she been laying? Any other symptoms like pale comb, respiratory issues, or water belly? Have you checked your birds and the coop for mites/lice? When was the last time they were dewormed?

The balance and head issues may simply be from lack of nutrition since she isn't eating enough. I'd put some poultry vitamins in her water or food and encourage her to eat with some tasty treats like scrambled egg or tuna and see if she improves with a little TLC. At 4 yrs old she could have cancer or some other fatal disease causing her general decline, but it's always good to look for treatable issues.
I doubt she lays anymore. Her comb is vibrant and healthy, but it has been picked at which has led to some scarring. I’ve decided to separate her physically but still let her see flock mates. Her belly and breathing seems fine. Should I tube feed her to force some weight on her again? I’ve done it with a prior bird that worked. It nursed her back to health.

To check for sour crop, how would I go about this? Her breath doesn’t smell good but I don’t know if it qualifies for sour crop.
Bad breath is a common sign of sour crop. Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink. It should be flat and empty. If there is a hard lump it's impacted, if it's soft and squishy it's sour. Here is a good article about crop issues: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If her crop seems normal I'd take a peak inside her mouth to look for yellowish lesions, which could be the source of bad breath and cause her difficulty eating if they're also in her throat. To get her to open her mouth hold her comb near her beak in one hand and gently pull down on her wattles with the other.

Back
Top Bottom