Old hen, not staying with the other hens? what's up

jasperandchar

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
So I have an older hen, well she looks old, her comb is all flopped over etc....I've had her a month now and she's the only one that I know doesn't lay an egg.

She never stays with the other hens, she goes and hides out in the flower beds at the front of the house (you wouldn't know she's there) if you didn't know where she hides. She sleeps all day, goes back to the coop for the night (lock down) and gets out in the morning and back up to the front of the house

I haven't noticed anyone bullying her and I'm out there for long periods during the day.

Is it because she no longer lays and is enjoying her quite time (haha) and stays away from the other hens, anyone have previous experience with this behaviour?

Thanks

Um,flopped combs ahs nothing to do with age, but does sound elderly, a few of my old hens do this, and their just 4 years.

check for mites and lice, this can also be a behavior of parasites.

Um,flopped combs ahs nothing to do with age, but does sound elderly, a few of my old hens do this, and their just 4 years.

check for mites and lice, this can also be a behavior of parasites.

I don't think that's an issue but I'll check again.

She just falls asleep in a second, her comb is flopped over, pale, thank you

Can you post a pic?
Some breeds have naturally floppy combs.
You mention only having her a month. It is very normal for adults to stop laying and stay away from others when moved.

Did she come alone to your group or did she bring a friend with her?

Can you post a pic?
Some breeds have naturally floppy combs.
You mention only having her a month. It is very normal for adults to stop laying and stay away from others when moved.

Did she come alone to your group or did she bring a friend with her?

I purchased the whole flock of 10 hens together from the same person. She is the only 1 that is not laying and doesn't interact with the others. I do realize she could be on the bottom of the pecking order which may very well be the case.

She is a barred rock hen, I was told the hens were all 1 year old, I have no idea if that is the truth or not. No rooster mounts her of course, I was told a rooster will mount a laying hen, I don't know if that's true in all cases or not as well.

I will try and snap a picture shortly, thanks

A one year old barred rock should have a stand up comb and be active.
She may be having trouble adjusting to the new home.

I will wait on pics before I say unhealthy.

Here are a few pictures just taken, she's all red because she's mad because I shooed her out of her sleeping/hiding spot.

When I shooed her she ran to the coop because she thought it was bed time,

Attachments

• DSCF7454.JPG
    DSCF7454.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF7503.JPG
    DSCF7503.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 6
Her comb is not as bad as I expected. Yes it is pale. She is not laying so I would expect the comb to look just like it does.

Personally I would give her another month then make a decision on keep or sell. Is it possible that she had been broody before you got her?

Her comb is not as bad as I expected. Yes it is pale. She is not laying so I would expect the comb to look just like it does.

Personally I would give her another month then make a decision on keep or sell. Is it possible that she had been broody before you got her?

I really have no idea, she said that they already did their molt this year, they all have their feathers. The rooster never mounts her
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom